Using an air fryer is a quick and easy way to heat up leftover pizza fast. The slice is hot, crispy and tastes as good as when it was fresh. Learn how to reheat cheesy pizza in an air fryer in just 5 minutes for perfect results!
When I got an air fryer it was so that I could make food that tastes fried with less calories and less guilt. But I quickly realized that it has all kinds of uses other than making French fries at home!
It is wonderful at heating up leftovers. Whether it is reheating soggy takeout fries or leftover steak it is a great way to heat up last night’s dinner – and there is no food that benefits from being reheating in an air fryer more than pizza.
And for us it is a dinner that almost always leaves leftovers. Whether it is store bought or homemade we usually end up with a few extra slices, perfect for enjoying for breakfast or lunch the next day.
The Best Way to Heat up Slices of Pizza
The air fryer is the best way to turn leftovers into perfect pizza because it works fast while still delivering hot, delicious, crispy pizza slices. The hot circulating air gets food crisp without drying it out.
Using an air fryer will result in a slice with a crispy crust on the outside with gooey, melted cheese on top. It tastes just as good as it did when it was fresh!
You can heat it up in the microwave quickly, but the crust will probably be either soggy or tough – or maybe both in different parts of the slice! The microwave tends to cook unevenly, so some parts can be so hot it burns your mouth while other parts are just lukewarm.
Reheating in the oven works fine too – but it takes a while. You have to preheat the oven and then bake it for 10 minutes or so, while with an air fryer the slice can be ready to eat in just 5 minutes.
Another big advantage is that there isn’t much cleanup needed. The slice goes directly in the air fryer basket, with no need for a tray.
Once it is cooked and the basket cools you can just wipe it out with a paper towel and be ready to go. There won’t be much mess, making cleanup minimal.
If you have a slice with especially messy topping you can use foil or parchment paper in the basket. You can even buy parchment paper with perforations perfect for allowing air to circulate!
- Minimal cleanup
- Pizza tastes as good as when it was fresh.
How to Reheat Pizza the Air Fryer
Thin crust pizza is best reheated at 320 degrees F. For thicker Sicilian type you can go up to 350 degrees F.
Using too high a temperature can burn the cheese, so don’t be tempted to crank it up to a high temperature to make it heat faster.
Put the slice in the basket for a cooking time of 3-4 minutes and then check it to see if it is done. When it is ready to eat the cheese will be melted and the toppings will look cooked.
If it needs a little longer put it back in for a few additional minutes. Then take it out and enjoy your leftovers.
I don’t preheat mine for reheating leftover pizza. Preheating makes the most difference for food with breading that you want to get extra crispy, not for reheating.
Tips for Success
- Don’t Crowd the Slices – Depending on the size of your fresh pizza slices and size of your air fryer you might only be able to fit 1 or 2 slices in at a time. Avoid overlapping the slices.
- Don’t Mix Thick and Thin Slices – For the best results reheat pizza slices with similar thickness together. Don’t try to reheat a thin crust slice with a deep dish slice. They need to be reheated with different temperatures and times.
- Watch for the Hot Sides of the Basket – Remember the sides of the air fryer basket will be hot. So use tongs or a spatula to take the slices in and out of the basket. Don’t be tempted to reach in with your hands.
- Reduce the Time for Second Slices – If you are reheating the slices in multiple batches reduce the time by about a minute for the second batch, since the air fryer will already be hot.
This foolproof method works for reheating all kinds of pizza, whether you use a homemade pizza recipe or get takeout pizza!
Find More Easy Recipes
- 1-2 leftover pizza slices
- Put the slice of pizza directly in the air fryer basket. Make sure not to overlap or stack slices.
- Set the air fryer at 320 degrees F for thin/normal crust pizza or 350 degrees F for a thicker slice.
- Cook the leftover slice for 3-4 minutes.
- Check the slice and decide if it is hot enough. The cheese should be melted and toppings might start to brown a little around the edges.
- If necessary air fry the slice for another 1-2 minutes.
- Use tongs or a spatula to remove the hot pizza and serve.
Don't heat a combination of thick and thin crust at the same time.
If you are cooking multiple batches reduce the time in the recipe by about 1 minute for the second slice since the air fryer will be hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 509Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 1144mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 22g