Using an air fryer is a quick and easy way to heat up leftover pizza fast. The pizza is hot, crispy and tastes as good as when it was fresh. Learn how to reheat pizza in an air fryer in just 5 minutes for the best leftover pizza!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
When I got an air fryer it was so that I could make food that tastes fried with less calories and less guilt. But I quickly realized that an air fryer has all kinds of uses other than making french fries at home!
An air fryer is wonderful at heating up leftovers. Whether it is reheating soggy takeout fries or leftover steak it is a great way to heat up last night’s dinner – and there is no food that benefits from being reheating in an air fryer more than pizza.
And when we have pizza we almost always have leftovers. Whether it is store bought or homemade pizza we usually end up with a few extra slices, perfect for eating for breakfast or lunch the next day.
The Best Way to Heat up Leftover Pizza
The air fryer is the best way to heat up leftover pizza because it works fast while still giving you crispy, delicious pizza. The hot circulating air of the air fryer get food crispy without drying it out.
Using an air fryer will result in leftover pizza that has a crispy crust on the outside with gooey, melted cheese on top. It tastes just as good as it did when it was fresh!
You can heat pizza in the microwave quickly, but the crust will probably be either soggy or tough – or maybe both in different parts of the slice! The microwave tends to cook unevenly, so some parts can be so hot it burns your mouth while other parts are just lukewarm.
An oven works fine to reheat pizza – but it takes a while. You have to preheat the oven and then bake it for 10 minutes or so, while with an air fryer the slice can be ready to eat in just 5 minutes.
Another great thing about using the air fryer is that there isn’t much cleanup needed. The pizza slice goes directly in the air fryer basket, with no need for a tray.
Once it is cooked and the basket cools you can just wipe it out with a paper towel and be ready to go. Unless you have pizza with cheese melting off the sides there won’t be much mess.
If you have pizza with especially messy topping you can use foil or parchment paper under the pizza. You can even buy parchment paper with perforations perfect for using in an air fryer!
Key Advantages of Reheating Pizza in the Air Fryer
- Minimal cleanup
- Tastes as good as fresh pizza
How to Reheat Pizza the Air Fryer
Thin crust pizza is best reheated at 320 degrees F. For thicker Sicilian type pizza you can go up to 350 degrees F.
Using too high a temperature can burn the cheese, so don’t be tempted to crank the air fryer up to a high temperature to make it heat faster.
Put the pizza in the air fryer for 3-4 minutes and then check it to see if it is done. When it is ready to eat the cheese will be melted and the toppings will look cooked.
If it needs a little longer put it back in the air fryer for another 1-2 minutes. Then take your pizza out and enjoy your leftovers.
I don’t preheat my air fryer for reheating leftover pizza. Preheating makes the most difference for things that you want to get extra crispy, not for pizza.
Tips for Success
- Don’t Crowd the Pizza Slices – Depending on the size of your slices and size of your air fryer you might only be able to fit 1 or 2 slices in at a time. Avoid overlapping the pizza slices.
- Don’t Mix Thick and Thin Slices – For the best results reheat pizza slices with similar thickness together. Don’t try to reheat a thin crust slice with a deep dish slice. They need to be reheated with different temperatures and times.
- Watch for the Hot Sides of the Basket – Remember the sides of the air fryer will be hot. So use tongs or a spatula to take the slices in and out of the basket. Don’t be tempted to reach in with your hands.
- Reduce the Time for Second Slices – If you are reheating the slices in multiple batches reduce the time by about a minute for the second batch, since the air fryer will already be hot.
Works on All Types of Pizza
This foolproof method of reheating pizza works for all types, whether you have homemade or takeout pizza. If you are looking for tasty homemade pizza recipes try some of my favorites:
- Chicken bacon ranch pizza
- Pulled pork pizza
- Turkey pizza
- White clam pizza
- Cast iron skillet pizza
- Air fryer pizza
- 1-2 leftover pizza slices
- Put the slice of pizza directly in the air fryer basket. Make sure not to overlap or stack slices.
- Set the air fryer at 320 degrees F for thin/normal crust pizza or 350 degrees F for thick crust pizza.
- Air fry the leftover slice for 4 minutes.
- Check the slice and decide if it is hot enough. The cheese should be melted and toppings might start to brown a little around the edges.
- If necessary air fry the slice for another 1-2 minutes.
- Use tongs or a spatula to remove the slice from the air fryer and serve.
Don't heat a combination of thick and thin crust at the same time.
If you are cooking multiple batches of pizza reduce the time by about 1 minute for the second slice since the air fryer will be hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 509Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 1144mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 22g
Nutrition facts are estimates based on typical pizza.