This Instant Pot Lamb Stew is an easy Irish Dish perfect for St. Patrick’s Day dinner.
This post contains affiliate links.
March is the perfect time for Irish recipes, and this Instant Pot Lamb Stew recipe is a delicious St. Patrick’s Day main dish.
Irish Lamb Stew with Guinness
I have posted a recipe for Irish Lamb Stew on my blog before, but this year I wanted to make the stew in my Instant Pot. This recipe is pretty similar, just modified to use the pressure cooker, which means that I don’t have to simmer the stew for as long to get the lamb stew meat tender and tasty. By using the pressure cooker I can have a rich Irish Stew ready in less than an hour.
To really make the stew perfect for St. Patrick’s Day I used Guinness Stout in the broth. The Guinness is rich and gives the stew an unmistakable flavor that complements the lamb.
Genuine Instant Pot Sealing Ring 2-Pack – 6 Quart Red/BlueInstant Pot LUX60 V3 6 Qt 6-in-1 Muti-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, and WarmerGenuine Instant Pot Tempered Glass lid, Clear – 9 in. (23 cm) – 6 Quart
How do I avoid mushy vegetables in my stew?
One thing my family and I don’t like is when the vegetables in our stew are mushy and fall apart! So to avoid that so for this recipe I bring the Instant Pot up to pressure twice – first to cook the meat and then to cook the vegetables. You could add the potatoes and carrots at the beginning and only bring the pressure cooker up to pressure once. It would still taste good but the texture would be a little different and the vegetables’ texture would not be as firm, so I prefer to take a little more time and not overcook the vegetables.
Instant Pot Lamb Stew
- Set the Instant Pot on saute and let it heat up.
- Put the oil in the Instant Pot and brown the lamb cubes on all sides in the oil.
- After the lamb is browned add the flour, onion, thyme, rosemary, Guinness, tomato paste, broth, Dijon mustard, along with salt and pepper. Stir to mix.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot and lock the lid. Switch it to the Stew/Meat setting and program it for 20 minutes.
- While the stew cooks peel and dice the potatoes and the carrots.
- When the 20 minutes is done release the steam using the quick release.
- Add the potatoes and carrots, and lock the lid back on the Instant Pot. Set it to the manual setting and program it for 10 minutes.
- Once the 10 minutes are up use either the quick release or natural release, depending on how soon you want to serve dinner.
Instant Pot Lamb Stew Quick Tips
- If you use frozen lamb increase the initial pressure cooking time to 30 minutes.
- You can substitute broth or another type of beer for the Guinness if you don’t have any on hand.