Make this Colcannon Soup for St. Patrick’s Day! This Irish Potato Soup with Cabbage is a hearty and tasty way to celebrate the day.
This post contains affiliate links.
Are you looking for a new way to serve potatoes? Potatoes are a staple food in my house, because they are cheap, easy to make and everyone will eat them. This recipe for Irish Colcannon Soup is perfect for either St. Patrick’s Day or a meatless Lenten Soup.
Irish Potato Soup
Colcannon is a traditional Irish dish of mashed potatoes mixed with cabbage. This recipe combines the same flavors, but the potatoes are used to make a thick and creamy Irish soup and mixed with cabbage for a dish that is hearty enough for dinner.
The potatoes are cooked in broth and then blended to make the base for the soup. Then the cabbage is sauteed and mixed with the potatoes. I added a little bit of cream to make the broth richer, and then topped it off with some thyme and pepper.
Lifver 42-Oz Porcelain Soup/Noodle/Cereal Bowl,Elegant White,Set of 4 Serving BowlsLodge EC6D43 Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven, 6-Quart, Island Spice RedCucinaPrime Set of 4 Stainless Steel Soup Ladle 2oz, 4oz, 6oz, 8oz
The soup is very tasty, and full of vegetables. It makes an excellent meatless meal for the Lenten season, especially since it is Irish inspired, and St. Patrick’s day falls during Lent.
Irish Colcannon Soup Recipe
Irish Potato Soup
- Peel and dice the potatoes. Add to a sauce pan with salt, pepper, vegetable broth and water.
- Bring to a boil and cook 10-15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- While the potatoes cook dice the onions and cut the cabbage into thin slices.
- When the potatoes are done pour the potato mixture into a blender and set aside for a little while to cool.
- Turn the heat on the sauce pan down to medium low and add the olive oil.
- Saute the onions for 2-3 minutes, then add the cabbage and thyme, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn the blender on and blend the potato mixture until smooth.
- Return the potato mixture to the sauce pan and mix with the cabbage.
- Add the cream and heat on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with some more pepper and thyme before serving.
- If you aren’t looking for a meatless meal this Irish Potato soup would be delicious with a little bacon crumbled on top.
- You can made the soup preparation even quicker if you cook the cabbage and potatoes simultaneously in different pans and then combine them.
- An immersion blender would also work well for preparing this creamy Irish soup recipe.