This hearty Italian Tortellini Soup makes a quick and delicious meatless meal for a busy weeknight.
I love that I can have this meal on the table in 20 minutes, and the pasta and vegetables make very filling.
My daughters are not big fans of tomatoes, so I wanted to make a tortellini soup that wasn’t tomato based. I added cherry tomatoes at the end of the cooking time to add tomato flavor without having the tomatoes cook down like a sauce. This worked well and my girls even had seconds of the soup!
Italian Tortellini Soup
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat and mince the onion and pepper.
- Sautee the onion and pepper in the oil for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add the broth, salt and basil and bring to a boil.
- Slice the zucchini and add it and the tortellini to the sauce pan. Cook for 8-10 minutes or as directed on the tortellini package.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the cherry tomatoes and lemon juice. Let rest 5 minutes before serving, and sprinkle with Parmesean cheese if desired.