This hearty Italian Tortellini Soup makes a quick and delicious meatless meal for a busy weeknight.
I love that I can have this meal on the table in 20 minutes, and the pasta and vegetables make very filling.
My daughters are not big fans of tomatoes, so I wanted to make a tortellini soup that wasn’t tomato based. I added cherry tomatoes at the end of the cooking time to add tomato flavor without having the tomatoes cook down like a sauce. This worked well and my girls even had seconds of the soup!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 yellow pepper
- 28 oz vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 zucchini
- 1 12 oz package cheese tortellini
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat and mince the onion and pepper.
- Sautee the onion and pepper in the oil for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add the broth, salt and basil and bring to a boil.
- Slice the zucchini and add it and the tortellini to the sauce pan. Cook for 8-10 minutes or as directed on the tortellini package.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the cherry tomatoes and lemon juice. Let rest 5 minutes before serving, and sprinkle with Parmesean cheese if desired.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 251Saturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 1002mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 10g