Here is a cute way to use Peeps to make pies for Easter. I made a standard lemon pie, but instead of topping it off with meringue I used a marshmallow Peep!
Of course you could also just use lemon pudding if you are in a hurry, but I think homemade is tastier!Â The recipe makes enough for 4 small pies.
Before I served the pies I broiled them for about 2 minutes to make the marshmallow start to melt.Â You have to be sure you don’t burn the Peeps, but 2 minutes seemed about right for making the Peeps a little brown, but still recognizable.Â The combination of lemon and marshmallow was delicious!
Lemon Peeps Pie
- refrigerated pie crust
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 Tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- Roll out the pie crust and cut into circles to fit in small tart pans.
- Bake at 450 for 10 minutes and let cool.
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch and flour in a saucepan. Stir in the water.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mix thickens and boils. Then reduce the heat and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Mix the egg yolks with a fork. Add in 1 c. of the hot mixture and stir to mix. Then stir it back into the saucepan. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Take the saucepan off the burner and add the butter, lemon zest and lemon juice. Stir until the butter is melted.
- Pour into the baked pastry shell, top with a Peep and chill.
- Just before serving but the pie under the broiler for 2 minutes to make the Peep melty and browned.
What Easter desserts are you planning?