Make frozen sweet potato fries in the air fryer in about 20 minutes! This recipe is simple, and the air fryer makes sweet potato fries so crispy you won’t miss deep frying!
One of the things an air fryer is best at is heating frozen foods. The high heat and hot circulating air makes food crisp and delicious in record time without hot oil or added calories.
While I enjoy making homemade air fryer sweet potato fries, sometimes I want something that takes no effort, which is where frozen foods excel. I can have this on the table in about 20 minutes, making it the perfect side dish for a busy weeknight meal.
Frozen sweet potato fries are a healthy snack or game day treat since they are rich in vitamins and fiber. They make a nice change from standard French fries with a little bit of sweet flavor. Serve them with your favorite dipping sauce, and enjoy!
For exact amounts needed see the recipe card below
All you need is a bag of sweet potato fries! I like Alexia’s fries, but there are many other favorite brands, such as McCain, Trader Joes, Ore-Ida, or a store brand. If you buy a thicker product, like sweet potato wedges, they will take longer to cook.
How to Make Frozen Sweet Potato Fries in Air Fryer
First, preheat the air fryer at 400 degrees F for 3 minutes. Then take the bag of sweet potato fries out of the freezer and add the desired amount of fries to the air fryer basket.
Unlike many other air fryer recipes, adding more than a single layer of frozen sweet potato fries is ok. You can pile them up a little bit, but don’t fill the basket more than half full.
The more fries you put in the basket, the longer they will take to cook, and the more you will have to shake the basket to redistribute. So only put in what you need.
Air fry sweet potato fries at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes. Pull the basket out and shake it to redistribute the fries and ensure even cooking.
If you only covered the bottom of the basket, you can get away with shaking it once. If you piled them up, then shake them every 5 minutes.
Start checking for doneness after 15 minutes. The fries will start to brown around the edges and be crunchy instead of limp when they are done. If you are in doubt, pull one out and taste test!
Continue to cook them for additional minutes until they reach perfect crispiness. Then take them out, sprinkle them with a little bit of salt, garlic powder, or other seasoning and enjoy.
Extra Crispy Fries
If you want extra crispy fries, you can spray them with some oil before air frying. I don’t usually do this, but it will make them closer to deep fried.
Don’t use a commercial cooking spray. Instead, buy an inexpensive spray bottle and fill it with olive oil or avocado oil. Store-bought spray can damage the non-stick basket coating.
Frozen Sweet Potato Fries Cooking Time
I wish I could give a definitive time for cooking these frozen sweet potato fries, but the final cooking time will vary based on several factors, including:
- The brand and size of fries
- How full the air fryer is
- The air fryer model you own
So watch these as they get close to the 15-minute mark and check them, so you get them to the crispy texture you like best.
Favorite Dipping Sauce
One of the best things about serving sweet potato fries is dipping them in your favorite sauce! Here are some great sauces.
- Ketchup – Sure, it is not the most exciting sauce, but it is easy to get a bottle out of the refrigerator.
- Ranch dressing – This is my daughter’s favorite sauce for these fries. The cool ranch dressing contrasts nicely with the sweet fries.
- Honey mustard sauce – When you want something sweet and spicy, this is a popular choice.
- Chick-fil-A sauce – I love the creamy and tangy taste of this popular sauce.
- BBQ sauce – This works exceptionally well when serving the fries as part of a grilled dinner.
- Fry sauce – A ketchup and mayonnaise combination fry sauce is delicious for dipping.
- Polynesian sauce – Another favorite from Chick-fil-A, this sauce is sweet and delicious.
Occasionally you will have leftover fries, and nothing is worse than soggy fries reheated in the microwave. Store the leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container. To reheat, cook them in the air fryer at 400 degrees F for 2-3 minutes until they are hot and tasty.
Yes, any brand of frozen sweet potato fries can be air fried successfully. The size of the fries matters more than the brand you chose.
Usually, stacking food in the air fryer is a bad idea. But with frozen fries, you can stack them a bit, just don’t fill the basket more than half full. The more you put in the air fryer, the more you need to shake the basket or toss the food to redistribute.
Tips for Perfect Sweet Potato Fries
Be sure to check out the step by step instructions
Start with 15-minute cooking time, then add time in 2-minute increments until they are done.
Redistribute the fries at least once during the cooking time and more often if the basket is full.
Spray them with a bit of oil if you want them to be extra crispy.
Did You Make This? Leave a Star Rating!
Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
- Frozen sweet potato fries
- Preheat air fryer at 400 degrees F for 3 minutes.
- Add your chosen amount of sweet potato fries to the basket. They do not need to be kept in a single layer. You can stack them a little bit, but don’t fill the basket over half full.
- Cook at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes. Pull the basket out every 5-8 minutes and shake it or toss the fries to redistribute.
- After 15 minutes check the fries to see if they are crispy enough.
- If not, put them back in for another 2 minutes and check again. Continue cooking for additional 1-2 minute intervals until they reach your desired level of crispiness.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve with your favorite dipping sauce. Some flavorful sauces are ketchup, ranch dressing, BBQ sauce, or fry sauce.
- The final cooking time will depend on the size of the fries, how full the basket is, and your air fryer.
- The more you add to the basket, the longer they will take to cook, and the more often you should shake the basket.
- If you want extra crispy fries, spray them with a bit of oil. This isn’t necessary, but it will make them closer to deep-fried.
- Don’t use store-bought spray oil since it can damage the finish on the air fryer basket. Use a spray bottle filled with oil instead.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition facts are estimates.