The theme this week for the Creative Cookie Exchange is sandwich cookies – and I made these tasty Maple Cream Cookies.
The cookie part of this recipe is a mild spice cookie flavored with real maple syrup. Maple is one of my favorite flavors, and although it is a traditional fall flavor I like it all year round. Baking these cookies made the whole house smell delicious too.
The cookie are sandwiched together using a creamy maple flavored filling. The filling enhances the flavor of the cookies!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoon maple extract
- 2 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Melt the butter and cool slightly. Beat the butter with the sugar until well mixed, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the syrup, maple flavor and eggs. Beat until well blended.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a bowl and mix.
- Add the flour mixture all at once to the butter mixture and blend.
- Divide the dough into 2 halves, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Roll the dough into balls 1 inch in diameter and flatten with the bottom of a cup.
- Bake the cookies for 13-15 minutes until lightly browned on the edges.
- Cool completely.
- To make the filling put the butter, vanilla, milk and maple extract in a mixer bowl and mix until blended.
- Add the powdered sugar gradually, until a creamy frosting forms.
- Frost one cookie on the bottom and sandwich a second cookie on top.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215 Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 149mg Carbohydrates: 38g Sugar: 25g Protein: 2g
Creative Cookie Exchange
The theme this month is Sandwich Cookies–any kind of cookie presented as any kind of sandwich, weâ€™re laid back because that means more cookies for everyone! If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links.
You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes–be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Lemon Kissed Funfetti Sandwich Cookies from Baking in Pyjamas
- Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies with Peanut Butter Chocolate Ganache from The Spiced Life
- Lemon Sandwich Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cream Cheese Filled Orange Cookies from Food Lust People Love
- Linzer Cookies from A Bakerâ€™s House
- Chocolate Mint Sandwiches from Karenâ€™s Kitchen Stories
- Choc Orange cookie sandwich from Made With Love
- Chocolate Amaretto Creams from Our Good Life
- Maple Cream Cookies from Upstate Ramblings
- Mini Alfajor Cookies from Basic N Delicious