The theme this week for the Creative Cookie Exchange is sandwich cookies – and I made these tasty Maple Cream Cookies.
The cookie part of this recipe is a mild spice cookie flavored with real maple syrup. Maple is one of my favorite flavors, and although it is a traditional fall flavor I like it all year round. Baking these cookies made the whole house smell delicious too.
The cookie are sandwiched together using a creamy maple flavored filling. The filling enhances the flavor of the cookies!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoon maple extract
- 2 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Melt the butter and cool slightly. Beat the butter with the sugar until well mixed, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the syrup, maple flavor and eggs. Beat until well blended.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a bowl and mix.
- Add the flour mixture all at once to the butter mixture and blend.
- Divide the dough into 2 halves, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Roll the dough into balls 1 inch in diameter and flatten with the bottom of a cup.
- Bake the cookies for 13-15 minutes until lightly browned on the edges.
- Cool completely.
- To make the filling put the butter, vanilla, milk and maple extract in a mixer bowl and mix until blended.
- Add the powdered sugar gradually, until a creamy frosting forms.
- Frost one cookie on the bottom and sandwich a second cookie on top.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Saturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 149mgCarbohydrates: 38gSugar: 25gProtein: 2g
Cookies Make the Perfect Gift
I love to share homemade cookies with my friends and family! Food is a great way to bring people together during the holiday season, either in person or from a distance.
Why not bake some cookies this year and put together a cookie gift box for your friends? Here are some cookie recipe ideas for gift giving!