Treat your family to a tasty dinner with this simple copycat Taco Bell Mexican pizza. Crunchy tortillas are filled with taco meat and beans and smothered with gooey cheese and all your favorite taco toppings.
This is a fun way to change up taco night! And you can make the ground beef and tostadas ahead of time to throw this dinner idea together in minutes.
This popular Taco Bell menu item has recently returned after a few years gap. Once you try this easy-to-make homemade version, you will realize how simple it is to make your own Mexican Pizza anytime you have a craving for Mexican food.
I include directions for making air fryer Mexican pizza or cooking this copycat version in the oven. An air fryer will cook these a bit faster, but either way is delicious!
Want more copycat recipes? Check these Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes and Air Fryer Mongolian Beef for more favorite recipes.
Key Mexican Pizza Ingredients
For exact amounts needed see the recipe card below
Taco meat – You can use whatever your preferred meat is, from ground beef to ground turkey. Add a little bit of taco seasoning for a spicy flavor. Use a homemade mix or a packet of taco seasoning.
Refried beans – Either use a can of refried beans or make your own homemade refried beans.
Tostada shells – The simplest option is to use pre-made tostada shells. But if you can’t find them, either corn tortillas or flour tortillas can be quickly toasted to make crunchy tortilla shells.
Cheese – A Mexican cheese blend or cheddar cheese are both delicious in this recipe.
Salsa – Use mild or medium salsa to make a pizza sauce. Taco sauce or enchilada sauce would also work.
Hot sauce – Hot sauce is combined with salsa for the pizza sauce. I like to use Taco Bell Brand brand hot sauce.
Garnishes – Top the pizza with your favorite Mexican garnishes, like jalapenos, olives, tomatoes, or cilantro.
How to Make Mexican Pizza
1. Brown Taco Meat
Brown the ground beef in a skillet. Put it on medium heat and occasionally stir to break it into crumbles. Once it is no longer pink, stir in taco seasoning and let the seasoned beef continue to cook for 5 more minutes.
Or, if you forgot to thaw the meat, check my instructions for cooking taco meat from frozen beef!
2. Make Tostada Shells (optional)
If you don’t have store-bought tostadas, you need to make them. Crispy tortillas make a good base for the pizza, so it stays flat and holds together. Keep in mind each pizza uses 2 tostadas.
Spray the tortillas with a small amount of oil. Then decide how you want to cook them – in a skillet, in the oven, or in an air fryer.
- Griddle or frying pan – Put the tortilla in a large skillet at medium-high heat. Cook for 3 minutes on one side, then flip them over and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Oven – Place the tortillas on a nonstick baking sheet in a preheated 400 degree F oven. Bake for 5 minutes, then flip them over and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Air Fryer – Put the tortillas in the air fryer at 370 degrees F. Put something heavy, like a knife, on top of the tortilla, so it doesn’t fly around. Air fry for 4 minutes.
Mix the hot sauce and salsa together to make a pizza sauce. Then take one tostada shell and spread it with 2-3 tablespoons of cooked beef and 1/4 cup meat. Spread the mixture out to cover the entire tortilla.
Place a second shell on top of the meat. Spread this with 1 tablespoon of the pizza sauce mixture. Then top that with a layer of cheese.
For an air fryer Taco Bell Mexican pizza, cook it in an air fryer at 350 degrees F for 3 minutes. This will melt the cheese and warm it all up.
Or bake it in a preheated 400 degrees F oven for 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted.
Love Pizza? Make Air Fryer Pizza!
Add your favorite toppings! Some great suggestions are:
- Diced tomatoes
- Green onion slices
- Sliced black olives
- Pickled jalapenos
- Pickled onions
- Hot sauce
- Sour cream
- Sliced avocado
Serving Ideas Taco Bell Mexican Pizza
Use a pizza cutter to slice this into wedges for serving. These make a fun dinner or snack all by themselves! Try Mexican rice or green rice if you want to add side dishes. Cheesy fiesta potatoes, another Taco Bell copycat recipe, also make a great addition.
I love to make this a simple grab-and-go dinner by prepping it ahead of time. Cook the taco meat and make the tostadas in advance, and you can have this quick dinner ready in no time at all!
The ground beef will keep for 2-3 days in the refrigerator. If you are using cold, leftover taco meat, you will need to add 2-3 minutes of cooking time to these Mexican pizzas.
Tostada shells should be stored in an airtight container on the counter or pantry since they will lose their crispness if they are refrigerated. They will keep for about 5 days at room temperature.
Either works fine. I prefer corn tortillas, but flour tortillas work well too.
Yes, these taste great without the ground beef! Just add some extra refried beans or black beans and enjoy a meatless meal.
Did You Make This? Leave a Star Rating!
Copycat Taco Bell Mexican Pizza Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning or 1 packet taco seasoning
- 5 ounces refried beans
- 8 to tostada shells or 6-inch tortillas, either corn or flour
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese 3-cheese Mexican blend, or cheddar
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- Optional garnishes such as tomatoes, olives, avocado, or jalapenos
- Put the ground beef in a skillet on medium heat. Cook, occasionally stirring, until it is no longer pink.1 pound ground beef
- Stir in the taco seasoning and cook for another 5 minutes.2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- If you don't have tostada shells, make them from a crispy tortilla. First, spray the tortilla with a little bit of oil. Then cook them:Griddle or frying pan – Put the tortilla in a large skillet at medium-high heat. Cook for 3 minutes on one side, then flip them over and cook for another 2 minutes.Oven – Place the tortillas on a baking sheet in a preheated 400degree F oven. Bake for 5 minutes, then flip them over and bake for another 5 minutes.Air Fryer – Put the tortillas in the air fryer at 370 degrees F. Put something heavy, like a knife, on top of the tortilla, so it doesn't fly around. Air fry for 4 minutes. Flipping is unnecessary.8 to tostada shells
- Mix salsa and hot sauce together to make a simple pizza sauce.1/4 cup salsa, 1/4 cup hot sauce
- On one tostada shell, spread 2-3 tablespoons of beans and 1/4 cup of seasoned ground beef. Spread it out to cover the shell.5 ounces refried beans
- Place a second tostada over the meat mixture and spread a tablespoon of pizza sauce on top. Top with a generous layer of cheese.1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- Air fry the Mexican pizza at 350 degrees F for 3-4 minutes. Or bake in a preheated 400 degrees F oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Add your favorite toppings and serve.Optional garnishes such as tomatoes, olives, avocado, or jalapenos
Make-ahead tips:Cook the taco meat and make the tostadas ahead of time, then assemble and cook the Mexican pizza when you are ready to eat. Add 2-3 minutes to the cooking time if the meat comes out of the refrigerator. The taco meat will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. The tostada shells will keep tightly covered at room temperature for 5 days.
Substitutions:Use taco sauce or enchilada sauce in place of the salsa. Use fat-free refried beans for a healthier version. Use black beans or more refried beans in place of the meat for a meatless meal.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition facts are estimates.