This easy no bake peanut butter chocolate lasagna is delicious! Layers of Oreo cookies, peanut butter cheesecake, chocolate pudding and whipped topping make a decadent 4 layer dessert that the entire family will enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The combination of peanut butter and chocolate is irresistible. The two flavors just seem to be meant to go together.
One of the very first recipes I ever posted on my blog was this peanut butter and chocolate trifle. And I still love to combine the flavors in desserts like chocolate peanut butter skillet cake and peanut butter chocolate crescent rolls.
This recipe for peanut butter chocolate lasagna is a simple no bake way to combine these two classic flavors. It is creamy comfort food that is perfect for summer, with layer after layer of tasty goodness.
Many Names, One Dessert
This dessert can be called many different things, depending on where you live. Some people call it chocolate lasagna, because it has layers just like Italian lasagna.
Sometimes it is called chocolate lush, 4 layer dessert, chocolate delight, 4 layer delight and a bunch of other things too. The main characteristic of all these desserts is that they are no bake desserts with a simple crust, chocolate pudding, cream cheese and whipped topping.
I decided to call it chocolate lasagna in this post because that seems to be what it is most commonly called when it has an Oreo cookie crust, as this does. My grandma called it chocolate lush though!
Since this is a no bake dessert it uses a bunch of premade ingredients.
- Oreo cookies – These form the base crust for the dessert.
- Butter – The butter helps hold the Oreo crust together.
- Cream cheese – Use a block of cream cheese, not a tub of whipped cream cheese.
- Creamy peanut butter – I suppose crunchy peanut butter would work too, but I haven’t tried it. But if you want to add some crunchy texture why not?
- Powdered sugar
- Instant chocolate pudding – Don’t accidentally get cook and serve pudding!
Making Pretty Layers
If you put the dessert in the freezer for 10-15 minutes in between each layer it will be easier to make smooth layers. This will also make the dessert cut more crisply and look better.
If I am making this for my family I probably won’t bother with the freezer time. But if I am making it for a party I probably will!
Step by Step Instructions
There are four layers to this dessert. About an hour before you plan to make it get the cream cheese out of the refrigerator so room temperature and easier to mix.
Layer 1 : The Crust
The crust for this peanut butter chocolate lasagna is made by combining the Oreos with melted butter, similar to the kind of crust you’d make for a cheesecake.
For best results you need to use regular Oreos – not double stuffed Oreos. And you will want to use most of the package of cookies. You can snack on one or two, but not too many!
Crush the Oreos in a food processor or put them in a zippered bag and use a rolling pin to smash them. I like to leave the Oreos a little bigger than crumbs for this recipe, but do whatever works for you.
Once the Oreos are smashed melt the butter and stir it into the Oreo pieces. If you want to you can reserve about 1/4 cup of Oreo pieces to put on top of the dessert when it is done.
Then spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Press the cookie mixture down into the bottom of the baking dish to form the bottom layer.
Use something like a metal spatula or measuring cup to press the cookie and butter mixture down into the baking pan. Then put the baking dish in the freezer to set up for about 15 minutes.
Layer 2 : Cheesecake Layer
In a mixer bowl mix the room temperature block of cream cheese with the peanut butter. Mix it until the two are well combined and fluffy.
Then add in 2 Tablespoons of milk and the powdered sugar and mix again. The cream cheese mixture should be light and spreadable.
Spread this layer over the crust. You can either put it in the freezer to set for 10 minutes or continue right to the next layer.
Layer 3 : Pudding
Combine the instant chocolate pudding with the remaining milk and whisk it for 2 minutes. It should start to thicken and become soft set.
Pour the chocolate pudding over the cheesecake layer and spread it to the edges of the baking pan. Then either put the dish in the freezer for 10 minutes or continue to the next step right away.
Layer 4 : Topping
For a topping spread the container of whipped topping over the entire dish.
The peanut butter chocolate lasagna should be chilled for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator before serving to allow the layers to firm up. Alternatively, you could put it in the freezer for 1 hour.
How to Serve
This dessert should be chilled until right before serving. Don’t leave it out at room temperature for very long or it will be more mushy.
To serve the chocolate lasagna cut it into squares and enjoy. Wiping the knife down in between each piece will make for the cleanest cuts.
In the pictures I show the dessert topped with chocolate and peanut butter drizzle. But there are lots of fun ways to finish off this dessert though. Here are some other ideas.
- Peanut butter cups
- Chocolate chips
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Peanut butter chips
- Reese’s pieces
- Crushed Oreos or mini Oreos
- Hot fudge sauce
How to Store
You can make this dessert ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for 1 day. This dessert will keep for about 3 days, but it will look best in the first 24 hours after it is made.
This decadent peanut butter chocolate lasagna is sure to be a big hit, whether it is made for your family or a potluck. It is creamy and light, although it isn’t light in calories.
It is also a fun dessert for kids to help make! Kids love things like squishing Oreos and spreading pudding and it takes no special skill. It is a great way to get kids involved in cooking.
Find More No Bake Desserts
- 36 Oreo cookies (not double stuffed)
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 8 ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 container whipped topping
- 2 (3.9 ounce) packages chocolate instant pudding
- 3 cups milk
- About an hour before you plan to make the dessert take the cream cheese out of the refrigerator to soften.
- Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray or coat it with butter.
- Crush the Oreos in a food processor or put them in a zippered bag and crush them with a rolling pin. Crush the entire cooking including the creamy centers.
- If you want you can save about 1/4 cup of the Oreos to put on top of the chocolate lasagna.
- Melt the butter and combine it with the crushed Oreos. Press the mixture down into the bottom of the baking dish. Use a metal spatula to press the cookie mixture down into the bottom to make the crust.
- Put the pan in the refrigerator or freezer for 10 minutes to firm up. Doing this in between each layer will make the final dessert cut better and have more define layers.
- Put the room temperature cream cheese and peanut butter in a mixer and mix until well combined. Then add the 2 Tablespoons of milk and the powdered sugar and mix it together.
- Spread this peanut butter cream cheese layer over the cookie crust.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes (optional).
- Combine the 2 packages of instant chocolate pudding with the 3 cups of milk. Whisk them together for 2 minutes. The pudding should start to set and thicken.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes (optional).
- Top the entire dessert with the container of whipped topping.
- Finish off the dessert with a final decorative layer if desired. This could be reserved crushed Oreos, mini peanut butter cups, chopped candy, or peanut butter and chocolate drizzle.
- Let the dessert chill in the freezer for 1 hour or the refrigerater for 4 hours before serving.
- This dessert looks best in the first 24 hours after it is made and should be eaten within 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 334Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 277mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 20gProtein: 7g
Nutrition facts are estimates.