This is my family’s favorite fall recipe, Pumpkin Bread with Chocolate Chips. The flavors of pumpkin and chocolate chips seem to go perfectly together. This is a must for our meals at both Thanksgiving and Christmas! We got the recipe years ago from a friend, and everyone in the family loves it.
I modified the recipe a bit to cut the amount of sugar and shortening, although I am sure it is still pretty high in calories. The recipe makes 2 loaves, although I will frequently make one big loaf and a bunch of smaller ones. You can also put it in muffin tins for pumpkin muffins, which are delicious too. This freezes very well, so it is a great holiday favorite to make ahead of time!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread Recipe
- 3 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cup sugar
- 2 cup pumpkin 15 oz can
- 4 eggs beaten
- 2/3 cup shortening or oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 12 oz. chocolate chips
- Mix the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar in one bowl.
- Mix the pumpkin, eggs, oil or shortening and water in another bowl.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together and fold in the chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 for 60-70 minutes. If making muffins bake for 15-20 minutes.