Make your own pumpkin pie spice! You can make this favorite fall flavor at home in only 5 minutes. Perfect for fall baking or for gift giving.
Pumpkin pie spice is the ultimate fall flavor. It is perfect for adding to fall breads, cookies, muffins or lattes.
You can buy a bottle of pumpkin pie spice at the grocery store, but it is quite easy to just make your own. It is much more cost effective to make it yourself than to pay exorbitant prices for a small plastic bottle.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Pie Spice
It is made from basic spices that you probably already have.
- Cinnamon – This is the main flavor in pumpkin pie spice. Cinnamon contributes its distinctive sweet and spicy flavor.
- Ginger – Ginger adds sharpness to the spice mix.
- Nutmeg – Nutmeg complements the cinnamon to add sweetness to the mix.
- Allspice – Allspice has a mild, pleasant flavor.
- Cloves – Cloves are sharp and pungent.
Actually making the spice blend is simple – just mix all the spices together and stir. Transfer the spice mix to a sealed container, like a glass jar, and it will keep for up to 2 years.
When to Use Pumpkin Pie Spice
Pumpkin pie spice is perfect in all kinds of fall recipes. Here are some of my recipe that use the mixture:
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Trifle
- Pumpkin Dump Cake
- Blueberry Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
But you don’t just have to use it in a recipe. It is also delicious sprinkled on oatmeal or on top of yogurt.
One of the great things about making your own spice mix is that you can adapt it to your tastes. This recipe makes a great starting place, but don’t hesitate to make it your own.
With this spice blend you can add more ginger and cloves for a sharper flavor. Or if you prefer your pumpkin spice soft and mild add more cinnamon.
A jar of homemade spice mix makes a lovely DIY holiday gift. Put some spice mix in a mason jar and add a nice label and give them to your friends and family this holiday season.
- 3 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- In a small bowl, mix all ingredients together until well blended.
- Store in an airtight container.