This fun red white and blue smoothie is perfect for the Fourth of July, Memorial Day or anytime you want a red, white and blue treat. This delicious patriotic smoothie is vegan, free from refined sugar and has only 4 ingredients!
I love smoothies! They are cool and refreshing, which makes them perfect for the summer time. Summer smoothies like Avocado Strawberry Smoothie and Berry Oat Smoothie are delicious ways to serve summer fruit.
And this red, white and blue smoothie is designed for summer not just because of the strawberries it includes, but because of its patriotic layers.
This is a rich and filling smoothie made with coconut cream as a base. Using coconut cream means it is dairy free and vegan. It also gives the smoothie a rich and creamy taste!
Coconut Cream vs Coconut Milk
Coconut cream is a thicker version of coconut milk. It is about 4 times as thick as coconut milk, so you can’t substitute one for the other.
In this smoothie the thickness of the coconut cream is need to allow you to layer the different smoothie colors. You could make this smoothie with coconut milk and it would be delicious – but the layers wouldn’t stay separate in the glass.
For this smoothie recipe unsweetened coconut cream is best, because the fruit adds plenty of sweetness. There is no need to add any sugar or other sweetener to this recipe.
In addition to the coconut cream this smoothie uses:
- Bananas – Bananas are a classic smoothie ingredient that helps make smoothies creamy. For this smoothie you will get best results from frozen bananas.
- Strawberries – Strawberries are the best summer fruit! You can use fresh or frozen strawberries in this smoothie.
- Blue Spirulina – This superfood provides the blue color for the smoothie.
What is Blue Spirulina?
Blue spirulina is not really a food coloring, it is a pigment derived from blue-green algae. It is also an amazingly pretty blue color, which is very difficult to find in natural products.
But it doesn’t just provide color, it also adds, protein, vitamins and minerals. While all that is true, no one wants to drink a smoothie that tastes like algae or fish!
But don’t worry, it has absolutely no taste that I was able to detect. The amount used to color the smoothie is small and any taste it has is completely overwhelmed by the other ingredients.
If you are looking for more ways to use blue spirulina check out my recipe for Blueberry Chia Pudding! Blue spirulina is also great for adding to pancakes for a fun colored breakfast.
How to Make Red, White and Blue Layered Smoothie
This smoothie is very thick, which makes it easy to create layers.
1. Red Layer
Put all the strawberries and half of a banana in a blender. Add in 1/3 of the can of coconut cream. Blend them together to get a nice deep red color.
If you add too much banana to this layer you will get more pink than red! Pour the strawberry mixture into your glasses, filling them no more than 1/3 of the way full.
2. White Layer
Rinse out the blender so that your next layer will be white, with no strawberry residue. Put all the rest of the bananas and coconut cream into the blender and mix until creamy.
This mixture is going to be both the white layer and the base for the blue layer. Slowly pour half of smoothie in the blender over the red layer in the glasses.
Make sure you keep enough for the blue layer! Alternately you can spoon the white layer into the glass instead of pouring it. This can help keep the layers from mixing.
3. Blue Layer
Once you have the white layer in place add the blue spirulina powder to the blender and mix well. If you want a brighter blue add a little more powder.
Pour or spoon the blue mixture over the white layer in the glasses. Add a straw and serve!
Tips for Layering Smoothies
Layered smoothies are very pretty and not as difficult to make as you might expect. Here are some tips for making nice defined layers in smoothies.
- Use frozen fruit in layered smoothies. The freezing makes the smoothie thicker, and so it layers better.
- When you are assembling the smoothie use a spoon to add the layers after the first. When you pour directly from the blender it is easy to create too much force and mix the layers.
- If you are having trouble getting the layers to stay separate try freezing the glasses. Put the glass in the freezer for 15 minute before you start making the smoothie. Then keep putting the glass back in the freezer in between each layer.
This smoothie is thick enough you shouldn’t need to freeze the glasses.
How to Serve Red, White and Blue Smoothie
This vegan smoothie is going to taste best served right away, and you will definitely want to drink its thick and creamy goodness with a straw! This smoothie has a mild tropical taste because of the all the coconut cream.
It is an amazing summer treat and creamy and sweet enough to be a dessert. While it is designed to be patriotic you can come up with a reason to serve it almost any time!
Fourth of July and Memorial Day are the most obvious holidays, but there is also Flag Day, Labor Day, President’s Day, Martin Luther King Day, Election Day and Veteran’s Day.
And red, white and blue are some of the most common flag colors in the world. So you can celebrate France on Bastille Day, Norway on Constitution Day, Australia on Anzac Day or Great Britain on the Queen’s birthday.
Basically if you are looking for a reason to make a red, white and blue smoothie I’m sure you can find one!
Find More Dairy Free Smoothies
- 6 bananas, frozen
- 16 ounces strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 can coconut cream (13.5 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon (heaping) blue spirulina
- Red Layer - Put all the strawberries, half of a banana and 1/3 of the coconut cream in the blender. Mix well.
- Pour the red layer into the bottom of your glasses, filling about 1/3 of the way.
- Rinse out the blender.
- White Layer - Put the remaining coconut cream and bananas in the blender. Mix well.
- Pour or spoon half of the white mixture over the red layer in the glasses. Leave half of the white smoothie mixture in the blender.
- Blue Layer - Add the heaping teaspoon of blue spirulina to the blender and mix. You can add more blue spirulina if you want a more intense blue.
- Pour or spoon the blue smoothie mixture over the white layer.
- Add a straw and serve right away.
The smoothie will be thicker and thus easier to layer if you use frozen bananas and strawberries.
Spooning the second and third layers into the glasses instead of pouring them makes the layers less likely to mix.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 432Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 46mgCarbohydrates: 104gFiber: 14gSugar: 59gProtein: 8g
Nutrition facts are estimates.