This is a good pork roast recipe which comes out nice and moist. I like the fact it has all the vegetables so you don’t need to add much for a complete meal. My mom makes something like this, but she uses beer instead of chicken broth. We don’t like the taste of beer, but if you do it would work well to use a can of beer and cup of broth.
Roast Pork with Cabbage and Potatoes
- 4 teaspoons caraway seeds crushed and divided
- 3 pounds boneless pork loin roast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 onion sliced
- 4 carrots
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 small cabbage chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 15 small red potatoes halved
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a skillet on medium. Saute the onion, carrots, bay leaves, 1 teaspoon of the crushed caraway seeds for 10 minutes. Put the vegetables in the bottom of a roasting pan.
- Add 1 T oil, the cabbage and another 1 t. caraway seeds to the skillet. SautÃ© for 10 minutes and add to the roasting pan.
- Combine remaining caraway seeds, garlic, salt and pepper. Rub the pork roast with the mix. Then heat the rest of the olive oil and brown the pork roast. Put it on top of the vegetables in the roasting pan.
- Add the broth and molasses to the skillet and bring to a boil. Pour this over the pork roast and vegetables. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Turn pork over, add the potatoes around the roast and bake for another 45 minutes.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.