This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Turkey Hill Dairy. All opinions are my own.
Now that warm weather is here it is time for frozen desserts. I made this Salted Caramel Sauce to put on top Turkey Hill Dairy’s All Natural Gelato for a delicious warm weather treat.
Making a caramel sauce is easy, and homemade sauce tastes so much better than the stuff you buy in jars. When make it yourself, you can be use to use natural ingredients so that the flavor of the caramelized sugar shines through.
The caramel sauce only uses 4 ingredients – sugar, butter, half and half and salt. It takes about 10 minutes to make, although it is hands on time, since if you don’t watch the sauce pan the caramel will burn. Keeping a close watch and stirring constantly is really the only tricky part of this recipe!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- Measure the half and half and butter and take them out of the refrigerator.
- Put the sugar in a large sauce pan (larger than you think you will need) and melt it over medium heat.
- Stir the sugar constantly. It will form clumps and then melt after about 8 minutes.
- Once the sugar has completely melted continue to stir it slowly, and watch it carefully. With in a minute or two the color will change to a dark amber color.
- When the color changes add the butter and stir to melt. The caramel will foam quite a bit at this point.
- Then remove the pan from the heat and slowly stir in the half and half. More foaming will occur. Once the half and half is added stir in the salt if you are making salted caramel.
- Then pour the sauce into a glass jar and cool completely.
- Refrigerate once cooled.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 85Saturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 594mgCarbohydrates: 17gSugar: 16g
Like the Caramel Sauce, Turkey Hill All Natural Gelato is made with simple ingredients like milk, cream, sugar and vanilla. Turkey Hill Dairy is the first major ice cream brand to offer an all natural gelato, and they make it in eight flavors. I used the Purely Vanilla and Sea Salted Caramel, but they also make favorites like Mint Chocolate Chip, Hazelnut and Peach Mango.
What is your favorite ice cream topping?