This is a quick and easy casserole that is very tasty! I frequently make pasta dishes with sausage, but I have been trying to use more whole grains, so this time I made the sausage using rice instead of pasta.Â I used brown rice, which gives it more fiber and also added a nice nutty flavor to the dish.
For the sauce I just poured 1/2 c. of cream in the pan and let it thicken a little bit.Â It probably would be healthier to make a white sauce with flour and milk, but that takes longer!Â Plus 1/2 c. of cream spread out among 4 people isnâ€™t a lot of fat.Â I didnâ€™t want much sauce in this dish, just enough to keep the rice moist.
This dish includes two things my husband doesnâ€™t like much, brown rice and chicken sausage, but he enjoyed this dish and had seconds.Â I almost didnâ€™t have enough left over to save for pictures!Â The combination of flavors worked well, and I am going to try replacing pasta with brown rice in more of our meals.
Sausage Mushroom Zucchini Casserole with Rice
- 1 1/2 c. cooked brown rice
- 2 T olive oil
- 12 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 3 links spicy chicken sausage
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 c. mozzarella cheese
- Cook brown rice.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes or so until they have cooked down and released most of their liquid.
- Add yellow pepper and zucchini and cook for 5 minutes.Â Now would be a good time to start preheating the broiler in the oven.
- Slice the chicken sausage and add to the skillet and cook for another 5 minutes to brown the sausage.Â Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the cream in the skillet and let it simmer for 3 minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Put the rice in a layer on the bottom of a casserole dish.Â Top with the sausage mixture and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.Â Broil for 3 minutes to brown the cheese.