I like to cook food from all different cultures, because it is fun to try new things. I don’t get to travel much, but at least I can experience food from all over the world. This weekend I wanted to make a dish with pierogies. Pierogies are an eastern European dumpling that is stuffed with mashed potato filling, and I had a box sitting in my freezer just waiting to be used. So when I was asked to create a meal with Hillshire Farm Gourmet Creations Sausage I thought it would be perfect to combine with the pierogies, because sausage and mashed potatoes are a great combination.
I found the original recipe on allrecipes.com, and modified it a little bit based on what we like. Don’t let the seemingly long list of ingredients worry you, it only took 40 minutes to make. My family loved this dish. My husband had actually complained before dinner that he didn’t want pierogies, and then he ended having three helpings! This was a perfect fall weekend dinner.
Smothered Pierogies with Sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb Smoked Sausage, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 box pierogies
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and saute the onion, peppers, mushrooms and sausage in 1 T olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and the spices. Continue to cook for 2 minutes. Then scrape the entire contents of the pan into a bowl and cover it with foil to keep it warm while you cook the pierogies.
- In the same skillet, cook the pierogies according to the package directions for pan frying. The box I had told me to soak them in hot water for 3 minutes , and then pan fry them in the 1 T of oil for 6 minutes on each side.
- Once the pierogies are cooked add the sausage mixture back to the skillet and stir it well.
- Cook for 5 more minutes, and then top with the cheese and let it sit for a minute or two to melt the cheese.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 689Saturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 1042mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 18g
Disclosure: This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias. #CBias All opinions are my own.
18 thoughts on “Smothered Pierogies with Sausage”
Oh, that looks delicious!!
OMG I love pierogies but never make them because I just dont’ know what to do with them but we love fried sausage. This is so perfect, I think we’ll be having it this week!!!
Those look delicious!
YUM!! I haven’t had pierogies for so long and these look fabulous!!
This looks heavenly and perfect for fall
Love pierogies! Good choice. 🙂
My mouth is watering right now that looks so good. I love pierogies!
Sounds yummy! I love the part about how your husband complained but had 3 helpings. 🙂
Boy that looks good. I have heard of pierogies —- or however you spell it but I don’t think I have ever had them.
we were just talking about perogies today, my kids love them
My mouth is watering, that looks so good! All of the flavors sound so good together, I am going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing. 🙂
Yummy! I have a pack of the jalapeno sausages in the fridge. I may have to borrow this recipe from you 😀
I’m not usually a huge fan of pierogies, but you make this look marvelous! Gonna have to try it 🙂
Now I am hungry.
Yummm! My mouth is watering already! Can’t wait to try out this recipe!