This Strawberry Roll Cake is how my mom always makes strawberry shortcake. The easy dessert is a delicious sponge cake with strawberries and whipped cream rolled up inside.
This post contains affiliate links.
Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits and when strawberry season arrives my family and I always visit the local berry patches to pick. We pick quite a few quarts and when we get home this easy strawberry shortcake recipe is the first thing we make!
If you have never made a cake roll before it can seem a little intimidating. But it really isn’t that difficult, and this fruit filled dessert tastes much better than one made with the little shortcake cups that you can buy at the grocery store.
How to Make a Cake Roll
The cake part of this Strawberry Roll Cake is a traditional sponge cake. It has a springy and light texture, because it is made with eggs but no shortening or butter.
The secret my mom taught me to making a cake roll without cracking is to roll it up while it is still hot from the oven. So when the cake is done baking I dump it out onto a dish cloth dusted with powdered sugar.
Then I roll it up inside the dish cloth and let it cool completely on a rack. This helps it keep its shape once it is filled.
Once it has cooled I unroll it and fill it with lots of whipped cream and strawberries, and then roll it back up. I also cover the outside of the strawberry roll cake with more whipped cream and berries, because when it comes to strawberries more is better!
Even if the cake cracks a little bit when you unroll and re-roll it doesn’t matter because you can hide all the cracks with whipped cream.
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 quarts strawberries
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoon sugar
- Prepare jelly roll pan by lining it with waxed paper or parchment paper, and butter the paper. I just use a cookie sheet with edges, it doesn't have to be a jelly roll pan.
- Preheat the oven to 375, and separate the 4 eggs.
- Whip the 4 egg whites until stiff, then pour onto a plate and set aside. I always do the egg whites first, because then I don't have to wash out the mixer bowl.
- Put the 4 egg yolks in a mixer bowl with the sugar and beat until creamy. Add the vanilla and beat again.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Now fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture while sifting the flour over the top, stirring gently with a spatula.
- Spread evenly in the prepared pan and bake for 12 minutes, until it is light brown.
- Turn onto a towel dusted with powdered sugar, and roll up the long way inside the towel. This helps it keep its shape once it is filled.
- Once the cake has completely cooled inside the towel whip the heavy cream with the 2T of sugar.
- Unroll the sponge cake and spread with whipped cream and strawberries. Roll it back up and serve with leftover strawberries and cream.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 428 Saturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 162mg Sodium: 129mg Carbohydrates: 47g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 30g Protein: 6g
Tips for Making this Strawberry Roll Cake
- You can buy a pan specifically for making jelly rolls, but I have always found a cookie sheet with edges works fine.
- Whatever pan you use lining it with parchment paper and greasing the paper is necessary or the sponge cake won’t come out in one piece.
- After you fill and decorate the cake roll there will probably be leftover whipped cream and strawberries to serve with the finished shortcake roll.