Strawberry season will be here soon. I love to pick strawberries and make delicious desserts, like Strawberry Shortcake and Strawberry Fool. Strawberry Fool is a dessert made from strawberries, whipped cream and sugar, so it is like shortcake without the cake!
This is a traditional English dessert that dates back to the 1600s. I first made this years ago when I was studying Colonial America with my children, and ever since they have requested it every strawberry season. The combination of strawberries and cream is always popular, and is pretty easy to make.
- 3 cup strawberries
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoon sugar
- Put the strawberries in a blender and puree them. Then mix them with the sugar and salt in a sauce pan.
- Cook the strawberries on medium high heat, stirring, until they start to boil. Add the lemon juice and cook about 5 minutes more. If there is any foam on the pan skim it off.
- Take the pan off the heat and let it cool on the counter for half an hour, then refrigerate it for about an hour.
- Beat the heavy cream until it forms soft peaks, then add the 2 T of sugar and continue beating until you have stiff peaks.
- Fold in the strawberry sauce to the whipped cream and pour into dessert dishes. It looks prettier if you don't quite blend it all the way so it is swirly.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 321Saturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 169mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2gSugar: 26gProtein: 1g