I almost always make Strawberry Shortcake Roll with our strawberries, but this weekend I wanted to try something different. My parents lived in Australia when I was young (too young to remember) and ever since then my mother has made Pavlova, a traditional Australian dessert. So I called my mom up to get the recipe, and made it this weekend with strawberries and blueberries – the perfect summer fruit.
It turns out the recipe is actually pretty easy, since Pavlova is just a meringue bowl filled with whipped cream and berries. My mom always makes one big 9 inch circle, but I wanted to make mini-meringues because they are easier to eat that way. When you cut a big meringue it tends to just fall apart and crack! It still tastes good, but it gets messy. The mini-pavlovas are also perfect for stacking up for a layers of berries and meringue.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- few drops vanilla
- 2 quarts strawberries
- 1 quart blueberries
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 200 F.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff, adding in the sugar gradually. It will take a while to whip them, mine took about 5 minutes to form stiff peaks.
- Fold in a few drops of vanilla.
- Put parchment paper on a cookie sheet. You can make a large 9 inch meringue or about 8 smaller 3 inch ones.
- Use a pencil to trace around a cake pan (large meringue) or a cup (small meringue). Then flip the parchment paper over so you can still see the pencil marks, but they won't get transferred to the meringue.
- Put some egg white mixture in the middle of a circle. Gently spread it out to the edges, building up an edge.
- Bake for 2 1/2 hours. Turn the oven off and let the meringue cool overnight in the oven.
- Store the meringues at room temperature until you are ready to serve. If you fill them ahead of time the meringues get soggy from the fruit.
- When you are ready to serve whip the cream with the 2 T. of sugar until it is creamy.
- Top each meringue with whipped cream, and then berries.
- Stack them up if desired.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 617Saturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 68mgCarbohydrates: 86gFiber: 10gSugar: 68gProtein: 7g
Let me know your favorite summer berry dessert.