Caprese salad with cherry tomatoes is a simple salad of tomatoes and mozzarella, yet it packs a punch of flavor. It is the perfect summer salad because of its fantastic taste and how effortless it is to make!
Juicy sweet tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, and fragrant basil are drizzled with a mouth-watering balsamic glaze. And it is ready in 10 minutes! It is easy to see why this is such a crowd-pleasing side dish!
Not only is this salad recipe easy and delicious, but it also looks fantastic on your table. The colors of the tomatoes contrast with the white mozzarella and green leaves to mimic the colors of the Italian flag.
So whether you’re looking for a side dish to take to a picnic or cookout, or a refreshing and easy-to-make meal, this salad is a fabulous choice. So give this recipe a try and treat yourself and your family to a delicious and easy cherry tomato caprese salad.
Try air fryer chicken caprese, air fryer roasted tomatoes or quick pickled green tomatoes for more delicious tomato flavor.
For exact amounts needed see the recipe card below
- Cherry tomatoes
- Balsamic vinegar
- Fresh mozzarella cheese – I like to use mozzarella pearls because they look great and save time. But you can slice a block of fresh mozzarella.
- Fresh basil leaves
🥣How to Make Caprese Salad
- Slice Tomatoes – Slice the cherry tomatoes into halves or quarters, depending on their size. Make sure the tomato pieces are bite size. Once they’re sliced, place them on a platter and give them a sprinkle of salt to bring out their natural sweetness.
- Dice Mozzarella – If you aren’t using pre-made mozzarella balls, dice the cheese into bite-size pieces.
- Make Balsamic Glaze – Whisk the balsamic vinegar and honey in a bowl.
- Assemble the Caprese Salad – Scatter the cheese balls among the tomatoes. Sprinkle basil leaves on top. Then drizzle the balsamic glaze.
Since this is an Italian salad, serving it with some Italian main dishes makes sense. It is delicious with Italian Mushroom Stew, Chicken Parmesan, or Baked Manicotti. Add some crusty bread to complete the meal.
And, in the summer, when fresh tomatoes are abundant, I like to take this Italian tomato salad as a side salad for a picnic or cookout. It is the ideal side dish to go along with potato salad or coleslaw since it adds a splash of color and sweet flavor to your plate.
💭How to Store
This Caprese salad with cherry tomatoes will keep for about 2 hours at room temperature or 1 day in the fridge. If you are storing it, keep it in an airtight container. The basil will wilt quickly and not look as fresh as it sits.
⭐Tips and Variations
Be sure to check out the step by step instructions
- Use small basil leaves or cut the larger leaves into strips.
- Drizzle with a bit of extra virgin olive oil along with the balsamic glaze to add even more Mediterranean flavor.
- Cutting the tomatoes in half and salting them brings out their sweetness, making this an extra delicious salad. Use kosher salt or coarse sea salt for a great look.
- Try different colors of ripe cherry tomatoes for a gorgeous salad. A variety of tomatoes, including orange, yellow, or heirloom tomatoes, are fabulous combined with the white mozzarella.
Mozzarella pearls, also called bocconcini, are tiny mozzarella balls that you can find in the deli or specialty cheese section of many grocery stores. They are fun to use in this cherry tomato caprese salad recipe because their size and shape mimic the cherry tomatoes.
Serve Caprese salad at room temperature since that is where tomatoes taste best. But it only lasts about 2 hours at room temperature and should be refrigerated afterward.
Fresh cherry tomatoes usually have a sweeter flavor and are juicier. However, they also don’t keep as well as grape tomatoes. Either works well in this Caprese salad recipe.
Cherry tomatoes are too big to leave whole. Grape tomatoes could be sliced or left whole, although cutting them does let them absorb more of the flavor of the balsamic glaze.
Did You Make This? Leave a Star Rating!
Caprese Salad with Cherry Tomatoes Recipe
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella balls
- 20 to 30 leaves fresh basil
- Wash the cherry tomatoes. Then slice them in half.1 pint cherry tomatoes
- Put the tomatoes on a serving platter and sprinkle with a bit of salt1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place the balsamic vinegar and honey in a bowl and whisk until combined.4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon honey
- Add mozzarella pearls in between the tomatoes. Sprinkle the basil leaves over the top.1/2 cup fresh mozzarella balls, 20 to 30 leaves fresh basil
- Add a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
- Use small basil leaves or cut the larger leaves into strips.
- If you don’t have mozzarella balls just dice fresh mozzarella.
- Cutting the tomatoes in half and salting them brings out their sweetness, making this an extra delicious salad.
- Try different colors of ripe cherry tomatoes for a gorgeous-looking salad.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
9 thoughts on “Caprese Salad with Cherry Tomatoes”
I agree with you, your pic is great. There is something about those "Italian" type salads that kids like…they will eat my panzanella, but won't eat a tomatoe! Joni
Followed your link from Balancing beauty and bedlam. Your salad looks great!
This is the best salad when using super fresh and sweet tomatoes!!!
This looks sooooo gooood! 🙂
The moment I saw tomatoes, I knew I had to make this recipe! As a fan of all things caprese, I came to this recipe with great expectations! This recipe was as delicious as I expected and more! I will definitely be making this salad over and over again
Cherry tomatoes with fresh mozzarella is a match made in heaven. The salad is so simple yet absolutely gorgeous. My family loved it. Loved the addition of basil leaves too.
I just love the bit of sweetness from the honey here! Just delicious with the fresh basil and creamy mozzarella.
The honey was such a nice touch against the freshness of the tomatoes! Such a wonderfully flavorful salad. Already cannot wait to have it again!
One of my favorite salads! It’s simple but packed with flavor. Caprese is a regular in our meal rotation!