This easy white chocolate popcorn recipe is simple yet delicious! Popcorn, pretzels, pecans and M&Ms drizzled with white chocolate – yum! Easy to make and is perfect for family movie night or giving to friends and neighbors as a gift.
Homemade treats are my favorite gift to give friends and neighbors, and after all giving is what the Christmas season is all about! This recipe makes a great homemade present, because it is quick to make, takes no special skills and the ingredients will not break the bank.
So with a minimal amount of effort you can make salty and sweet chocolate drizzled popcorn and give it to your neighbors or bring a big bowl of this white chocolate popcorn to a holiday party. You can gift the popcorn in a decorative mug, like I did here, or put it into cellophane gift bags tied with a pretty ribbon.
Chocolate Drizzled Popcorn
Popcorn is one of my top five favorite foods, so it makes sense to me to dress it up and make it special for the holiday season. This recipe for white chocolate popcorn combines the salty popcorn with pretzels sticks, pecans and M&M’s for a delicious sweet and salty combination, which is hard to beat.
It is the balance between sweet and salty, that makes this snack so irresistible. Our brains are naturally hard wired to like foods that are both sweet and salty, so a combination of salty popcorn and pretzels with chocolate is bound to be both tasty and a little bit addictive.
How do you Melt Chocolate for Popcorn?
Once you have the pretzel, popcorn and nuts mixed up in a big bowl the next step is to melt the white chocolate chips for drizzling on the popcorn. Some experts recommend that you use a double boiler for melting the chocolate, but I prefer the simpler method of using the microwave.
The issue is that the melting point of chocolate is close to the temperature at which it burns. But if you are careful a microwave works fine for melting chocolate without burning.
When melting the white chocolate in the microwave it should be first heated for 30 seconds. Then stir the chocolate, and heat it for another 20 seconds, stirring it to continue melting the chocolate chips.
Continue heating for very short periods of time and stirring until it is all melted, which will probably take less than a minute. Then pour the chocolate over the big bowl of ingredients and stir so that the white chocolate coats the pretzels, popcorn and nuts.
I add the M&Ms after the chocolate has been drizzled on, because the M&Ms already have a candy coating, so they don’t really need to be drizzled with chocolate. But you can add them earlier, or just add them before the chocolate has set and they will also have a little bit of extra white chocolate coating.
Variations on White Chocolate Popcorn
One of the nice things about this recipe is that it is so versatile.
- If you prefer peanuts to pecans then it is easy to make that substitution.
- Make a big batch of this for a classroom Valentine’s Day party you can use red, pink and white Valentine’s M&Ms instead of red and green candies.
- For Thanksgiving you could use candy corn flavored M&Ms or you could just replace the M&Ms with candy corn.
The possibilities are limited only by your imagination!
Find more Recipes Using M&Ms
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels or 1 bag of microwave popcorn
- 1 cup pretzel pieces
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chocolate chips
- 1 cup M&M’S® Milk Chocolate
- Air pop the popcorn kernels or make the microwave popcorn and place in a large bowl. Remove any unpopped kernels you see.
- Break the pretzel pieces into smaller pieces if necessary and chop the pecans.
- Combine the popcorn, pretzels and pecans in a large bowl.
- Melt the white chocolate in the microwave, 20 seconds at a time, stirring after each 20 second increment, until it is spreadable.
- Pour the melted white chocolate into the bowl and stir the ingredients to coat them in the chocolate.
- Stir in the M&Ms.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 304Saturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 150mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 2gSugar: 20gProtein: 3g