When I was challenged to make a dish using the new M&Mâ€™s Candy Corn White Chocolate Candies I debated what kind of recipe to make.Â I love the idea of Candy Corn M&M’s, because it is like combining two great candies into one.Â I finally decided to use the Candy Corn M&Mâ€™s to flavor pudding and make a layered Trifle.Â I love trifle â€“ it combines cake, pudding and whipped cream, and is a great party dessert because it looks impressive too.Â We layered our pudding to make the trifle look like candy corn, and it was delicious.
The Candy Corn M&Mâ€™s are available now at Walmart, and are made of a candy corn flavored coating surrounding a white chocolate center.Â The Trifle I made consists of layers of pumpkin bread, topped with white chocolate pudding, whipped cream and Candy Corn M&Mâ€™s.Â For the bottom layer I made the Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread recipe that my family loves, and just left out the chocolate chips.Â But you could use any pumpkin or spice cake as the bottom layer.
Then I made vanilla pudding from scratch and melted the Candy Corn M&Mâ€™s to flavor the pudding.Â If you have never made pudding from scratch it sounds intimidating, but it it isnâ€™t difficult, it just takes lots of stirring.Â Luckily my kids were home so they did all the stirring!Â My daughter asked about 20 times while she was stirring the pudding why we didnâ€™t just use a boxed pudding.Â But I think it would have been too sweet to add the melted Candy Corn M&Mâ€™s to a standard vanilla pudding, and in the recipe I give below you will see I used only a small amount of sugar in the pudding.Â The M&Mâ€™s Candy Corn is very sweet and chocolaty all by itself.
I topped it all off with whipped cream and few M&Mâ€™s to be decorative.Â You could also add food coloring to make the pudding color more intense, but we liked the soft pastel colors we got just from the melted candy.Â Of course I realized the next day I did the layers in the wrong order for candy corn, because the yellow is supposed to be on the bottom.Â But it still tastes good!
White Chocolate Pumpkin Trifle
Ingredients for the Pudding:
- 1 c. cream
- 2 1/2 c. milk
- 4 T. cornstarch
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/8 t. salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 T. butter
- 1 bag M&Mâ€™s Candy Corn White Chocolate Candies
- Mix the cream, milk, cornstarch, sugar, salt and egg yolks in a sauce pan.Â Whisk until blended.
- Divide the Candy Corn M&M’s by color, with one bowl of yellow/white and one bowl of orange/white.Â Save 1/2 c. Candy Corn M&Mâ€™s to use on top of the dessert.Â Add 1/2 T of butter to each bowl.
- Heat the mixture in the saucepan over medium heat stirring constantly until it is thickened and bubbly.Â This takes about 15 minutes.Â If you donâ€™t stir constantly it will get lumpy.
- Divide the pudding between the two bowls of Candy Corn M&Mâ€™s and stir until the M&Mâ€™s dissolve.
- Cover the pudding with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.Â Let cool at room temperature for 15 minutes before making the trifle.
To Make the Trifle:
- Pudding (from above)
- Pumpkin/Spice Bread of choice
- Whipped Cream
- Cut the pumpkin bread into pieces and put on the bottom of the desired dish.Â We used individual shot glasses and dessert dishes, but a trifle bowl would work too.
- Add a layer of orange pudding on top of the pumpkin layer.Â Chill for 15 minutes.Â
- Add a layer of yellow pudding on top of the orange.Â For a shot glass one layer of each was enough.Â For a larger dish you might want to repeat the layers of pumpkin bread and pudding.
- Top with whipped cream and decorate with Candy Corn M&Mâ€™s.Â
- If youâ€™d like to check out my entire shopping trip and the cookingÂ process you can see all the details in my
Disclosure: This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias. #cBias All opinions are my own.