Got zucchini? Make zucchini fritters in the air fryer for a side dish or as an appetizer you can serve with your favorite dipping sauces. Just grate up a few zucchini, mix in some simple ingredients, and air fry the fritters for guilt-free comfort food that is quick and easy to make.
Zucchini is one of the most abundant summer veggies. And I love zucchini, but I like to have lots of different ways to serve it in the summer because I make it so often! These air fryer zucchini fritters are the perfect snack to make with this fresh produce.
They are golden brown and crispy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside. Add some sour cream and green onions, or serve with ranch dressing or marinara sauce.
For exact amounts needed see the recipe card below
Zucchini – Medium zucchini is best. You could also make this recipe with yellow summer squash if that is what you have.
Egg – The egg binds the ingredients together so the patties don’t fall apart when you flip them.
Flour – The flour also helps keep the patties together. If you want keto or gluten-free fritters, you can substitute almond flour.
Baking powder – A little baking powder helps make these crispy on the outside.
Seasoning – I used salt, black pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes to season the zucchini fritters. If you don’t like it spicy, leave out the red pepper flakes.
How to Make Zucchini Fritters in Air Fryer
Wash the zucchini and shred them using a food processor or a box grater. I don’t peel them because the skin adds nutrition and gives the dish some pretty green flecks of color. But you can peel them if you prefer.
Getting as much excess water out of the shredded zucchini as possible is crucial for crispy fritters. The easiest way is to wrap it in cheese cloth and squeeze it with your hands.
If you don’t have cheese cloth, put it in a colander and press it firmly with a spoon to remove water. A clean dish towel can also be used to squeeze out the zucchini. Or just pick it up and squeeze it without the cheesecloth. Just make sure you do that over a colander or strainer.
Combine the grated zucchini in a medium bowl with the egg, flour, baking powder, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Make sure everything is well mixed.
2. Make Patties
Preheat the air fryer at 350 degrees F for 5 minutes. While it preheats, form the zucchini mixture into 8-10 small patties, around 2 inches in diameter. It is easiest to roll the mixture into a ball and then flatten the ball gently on a plate.
Brush or spray the patties with a small amount of oil. Don’t use a commercial nonstick spray oil because they contain preservatives that can damage the air fryer basket. Use an inexpensive spray bottle filled with oil.
3. Air Fry
Put the patties in the preheated air fryer basket. Keep them in a single layer, and don’t overcrowd the basket. Using foil or parchment paper on the bottom will help keep them from sticking and make cleanup easier. You might need to cook in batches depending on the size of your air fryer. Air fry at 350 F for 10 minutes.
Then pull the basket out and flip the patties over. I like to press down gently with a spatula at this point to make them crispier. Air fry for another 5 minutes until they are light brown on top.
These make a delicious snack, side dish, appetizer, or light lunch. I will even serve them for breakfast, topped with a fried egg! My kids like these best as a snack along with a dipping sauce. Some great sauces for air fryer zucchini fritters are ranch dressing, tzatziki sauce, marinara sauce, or even hot sauce.
If you want to serve them as a side dish, the traditional way to serve them is topped with a dollop of sour cream and garnished with green onions and fresh herbs. They go well with a meal like roast chicken, grilled salmon, or meatloaf.
- If you like cheesy zucchini, add 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or grated Parmesan cheese to the patties.
- Add extra veggies like corn or thinly diced onions.
- Change the spices, making them more or less spicy depending on your preferences.
How to Store
Air fryer zucchini fritters taste best when served right away since that is when they are the crispiest. But, if you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container for 3 days in the refrigerator. To reheat them put them back in the air fryer at 350 degrees F for about 3 minutes.
You can also freeze them for up to 2 months. Wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and freeze them in ziplock bags or a freezer container. When you are ready to serve them, thaw them in the refrigerator and reheat them in the air fryer.
Tips for Making the Best Zucchini Fritters
Be sure to check out the step by step instructions
- A food processor is the fastest way to shred a bunch of zucchini.
- It is vital to get all the excess moisture out of the zucchini. Cheesecloth makes that easier.
- Preheat air fryer for crispier fritters.
- Press them after you flip them to squeeze out any remaining moisture.
Did You Make This? Leave a Star Rating!
Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters Recipe
- 2 zucchini
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Shred the zucchini and squeeze out excess water using cheesecloth. Removing as much liquid from the zucchini as possible is key to getting crispy air fryer fritters.2 zucchini
- Place the shredded zucchini in a bowl and add egg, flour, baking powder, salt, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and black pepper. Mix everything.1 egg, 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- While it preheats, make 9-10 patties out of the zucchini mixture. It is easiest to roll the fritter batter into a ball, then flatten the ball on a cutting board.
- Place the patties in the air fryer basket and brush or spray some oil on top. Use parchment paper or foil in the basket to make cleanup easier.
- Air fry the patties for 10 minutes. Flip and then cook for another 5 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Serve with sour cream and green onions or with a dipping sauce.
- Substitute almond flour for the all purpose flour to make the recipe gluten-free.
- You can peel the skin on the zucchini or leave it. Both ways work. However, the skin adds more nutrients, texture, and color to the patties.
- You can use a clean kitchen towel if you don’t have cheesecloth. Or put the shredded zucchini in a colander and press it down with a spoon.
- Change the blend of seasonings to suit your tastes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition facts are estimates.