Treat your family to a melty cheese sensation with this air fryer mozzarella sticks recipe. Skip the deep fryer and achieve golden perfection with this healthier alternative that’s much easier to make than you realize!
With this recipe, you can enjoy the cheesy goodness of mozzarella sticks without the guilt and mess of deep frying. Bite into crispy exteriors that give way to gooey, stretchy cheese, making these mozzarella sticks a favorite for kids and adults alike.
In our house, Friday nights are movie nights, and these are the perfect movie night comfort food snack. Serve them with your favorite sauce for dipping, savor every cheesy bite and create unforgettable family moments with this delicious air fryer appetizer.
In this blog post, we’ll go on a cheesy adventure together. I’ll walk you through each step, from coating, to freezing, to air frying. We’ll also cover some handy tips and tricks to make sure you get it right the first time and avoid a cheese explosion in your air fryer.
For exact amounts needed see the recipe card below
- Mozzarella cheese sticks: Any brand will do.
- Seasoned breadcrumbs: I prefer not to use Panko breadcrumbs in this recipe because of their larger texture.
- Parmesan cheese: Make sure to use grated, not shredded.
- Salt and pepper
- Spray bottle of oil
🥣How to Make Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- Mix the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a shallow bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper. This is your crispy coating – the part that gives the mozzarella sticks that satisfying crunch.
- In another bowl, beat your eggs. This is the glue that holds the breadcrumbs to the cheese. Add your flour to a third bowl.
- Now, for the assembly line, which will get messy. Dip a mozzarella stick in the flour mixture, the eggs, and the breadcrumb mixture. Repeat the egg and breadcrumb steps again to coat the cheese stick. You’re aiming for a nice, even layer here.
- Place the coated cheese sticks on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Now, here’s the secret – freeze them for an hour. This step is crucial because it ensures the cheese doesn’t ooze out during cooking.
- Arrange the frozen cheese sticks in a single layer in your air fryer. Give them a light spritz with vegetable spray – this helps achieve that beautiful golden brown color.
- Cook for 6 minutes at 400 degrees. Remember to let them sit for a few minutes after cooking. This is not just to avoid scorching your tongue but also to let the cheese set a bit.
🍴Serving Up The Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
At my house, we like to play it fast and loose with the serving rules. Yes, these air fryer mozzarella sticks are a hit as an appetizer, but who says we can’t just enjoy them as a main course?
I mean, it’s cheese and bread. That’s practically a sandwich in my book! I’ve been known to serve these with a simple side salad for a quick and easy dinner on busy weeknights.
Of course, if you’re feeling traditional, you can never go wrong serving these with some warm marinara sauce for dipping. The combo of the crispy outer shell, the melted mozzarella, and the tangy marinara is a trio that’s hard to beat.
💭How to Store
You may be thinking, “There’s no way we’ll have any leftovers!” And while I appreciate your confidence in the deliciousness of these gooey mozzarella sticks, let’s talk about it, just in case you end up with some extras.
To store leftover air fryer mozzarella sticks, you’ll first want to let them cool completely. No one likes a soggy mozzarella stick, and if you pop them in the fridge while they’re still warm, that’s precisely what you’ll get.
Once cool, transfer them to an airtight container and put them in the fridge. They’ll stay good for up to three days. To serve them again, preheat your air fryer to 350°F and cook the sticks for 2-3 minutes. This will return them to almost their original crispy, gooey cheese glory.
Be sure to check out the step by step instructions
- Remember, food is meant to be enjoyed and shared. Don’t stress too much about getting these to look perfect. The whole point of these homemade mozzarella sticks is to make something delicious that your family can enjoy together.
- When it comes to what cheese sticks to use I’ve tried fancy, I’ve tried cheap, and I’ve found that my kids don’t notice the difference. Maybe it’s their less discerning palates, or maybe it’s just that anything coated in breadcrumbs and fried is almost guaranteed to taste good.
- Freezing the uncooked mozzarella sticks is essential. If you skip this step, the cheese will melt too quickly, and you’ll have a molten cheese lava flow in your air fryer. So save yourself the cleanup and freeze those cheese sticks.
- The breading process will get messy; there is no way to avoid that!
- Don’t use commercial cooking spray to coat the mozzarella sticks. The additives can damage the nonstick finish of the air fryer basket. Buy a cheap spray bottle and fill it with vegetable oil.
This is a question I get a lot. The golden rule is about 6-8 minutes at 400°F. Remember, air fryers can vary in how they cook, so keep an eye on them. You’re looking for a golden-brown coating and a slightly gooey center.
Absolutely! Just prepare them as directed and freeze them before the air frying step. They can be stored in the freezer for up to two months. Perfect for those days when you need a quick and easy snack.
You bet! If you have leftovers, reheat them in the air fryer for about 3-4 minutes at 350°F. They’ll come out almost as crispy and delicious as the first time.
Ah, the age-old debate. I’m a marinara gal, but my daughters swear by blue cheese dip. They also pair beautifully many delicious sauces, like BBQ sauce, hot sauce, boom boom sauce, or honey mustard. Let your taste buds be your guide.
Did You Make This? Leave a Star Rating!
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- 8 Mozzarella cheese strings cut in half
- Spray oil
- Find a rimmed baking sheet that will fit in your freezer. Line it with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a shallow bowl mix the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, Pinch of salt and black pepper
- Break the eggs in a separate bowl and whisk them together. Add the flour to 3rd shallow bowl.2 large eggs, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Cut the mozzarella sticks in half so they are easier to handle.8 Mozzarella cheese strings
- Dip a mozzarella stick in flour, the egg mixture, and the bread crumb mixture. Then dip it back in the eggs and the breadcrumbs again so the cheese stick is coated in breading.
- Lay the coated stick on the lined baking sheet. Coat the rest of the cheesesticks.
- Freeze the prepared sticks for at least an hour. Don’t try to skip this step!
- Preheat air fryer at 400 degrees F for 3 minutes.
- Take the frozen mozzarella sticks out and spray them lightly with cooking oil. Put them in a single layer in the air fryer and cook them at 400 F for 6 minutes.Spray oil
- Let them sit for a few minutes before eating so you don’t burn your mouth. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce. Marinara sauce or ranch dressing are classics, but pick whatever you like best.
- Freezing the cheese sticks before baking them is essential. If you skip this step, the cheese will melt too quickly, resulting in a big mess.
- If you don’t have seasoned breadcrumbs add a teaspoon of Italian seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder to unseasoned breadcrumbs.
- Don’t use commercial spray oil to coat the mozzarella sticks. The additives can damage the nonstick finish of the air fryer basket. Buy a cheap spray bottle and fill it with vegetable oil.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition facts are estimates.