This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
I love cooking with fresh summer produce! Using fresh, healthy ingredients makes everything taste better. This week I made this delicious quick bread combining two of my favorite summer flavors, blueberries and zucchini. I also used Blueberry Lifeway Kefir to enhance the blueberry flavor and keep the bread nice and moist.
I have bought Kefir many times in the past, but this is the first time I have tried using it in a recipe. Kefir is a drink that originated in Eastern Europe over 2000 years ago, and it is a cousin of yogurt, although it has a much thinner consistency since it is a beverage. Lifeway Kefir contains 12 live and active Probiotic cultures that help support the immune system and balance digestive health. It is one of my 18 year old daughter’s favorite beverages, because she can drinking a smoothie without having to actually get out the blender and make a smoothie!
My 21 year old daughter is lactose intolerant, but even though kefir is a dairy product Lifeway Kefir is 99% lactose free, so she can still drink it without worry. Neither of my girls are big fans of zucchini, probably because my husband and I love it and I serve it all the time in the summer! But they enjoyed this bread, even though they both noticed the tell-tale green flecks of zucchini and accused me of trying to sneak vegetables into their food.
A slice of bread combined with a glass of Blueberry Kefir makes a filling and healthy breakfast, and provides fuel for the day!
- 1½ c. flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- ¼ t. baking powder
- ¼ t. salt
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- ½ t. nutmeg
- ⅔ c. sugar
- 4 T butter
- 1 c. zucchini, shredded
- 1 egg
- 1 c. Blueberry Lifeway Kefir
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 c. blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg) in one bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Melt the butter, and let cool slightly.
- Shred the zucchini.
- Combine the butter with the zucchini, egg, kefir, and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine, but don't over mix. The batter will be very thick.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Put in prepared loaf pan and cook for 50-60 minutes, until the top is browned and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Sign up here for Lifeway Kefir coupons! #KefirCreations #CollectiveBias