Buffalo chicken chili is like a combination of hearty chili with Buffalo chicken dip! If you’re a fan of the spicy goodness of buffalo chicken, this recipe will become your new favorite game day favorite. This chili combines tender chicken and beans with a creamy buffalo sauce that is full of flavor and perfect for chilly nights.
And it is so easy to make this recipe in the slow cooker! You need just a few minutes of prep, then dump the ingredients into the crock pot and let them blend into a big bowl of deliciousness.
The canned goods used in this recipe are your best friends in the kitchen. They save time and reduce the mess. Who wants to go through the hassle of cooking beans from scratch when you are busy?
In this post, I’ll guide you step-by-step through this recipe, making sure you’re armed with all the tips and tricks to make this dish a knockout. Top this with a bit of cheese, and you have a fabulous, hearty dinner everyone will love.
For exact amounts needed see the recipe card below
The list of ingredients for this Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili might seem long, but fear not! The beauty of this recipe is that it relies on pantry staples and pre-packaged items to make your life easier.
- Chicken breasts: I prefer boneless, skinless chicken breasts because they’re lean and easy to work with. Boneless chicken thighs also work well in the recipe. Or you can use ground chicken to make the recipe even more effortless.
- Chicken Broth
- White beans: Beans like navy beans, cannellini beans, or northern beans are traditional in white chicken chili. But you can substitute your favorite beans, like black beans or kidney beans, no matter what color they are.
- Tomatoes with green chiles
- Tomato sauce
- Buffalo wing sauce: I used Franks wing sauce. But feel free to use your favorite brand. Just remember, the sauce determines the heat level of your chili, so choose wisely!
- Onion powder
- Garlic salt
- Ranch dressing mix
- Cream cheese
- Cheddar cheese
🥣How to Make Buffalo Chicken Chili in Crock Pot
- Dump the chicken, broth, beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, wing sauce, onion powder, garlic salt, and ranch dressing into your slow cooker.
- Then, sit back, relax, and let the slow cooker work its magic for 6 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- Take the chicken out and quickly shred the chicken breasts using two forks. It should fall apart quickly.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker along with the cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Cover it and give it another 15 minutes until the cheeses have melted and the chili is creamy, glorious perfection.
🍴Serving Your Chili
Here’s the fun part: toppings! You can go classic with more shredded cheese and green onions, or you can get fancy with some blue cheese crumbles and celery sticks. Why not add a drizzle of ranch or sour cream while you’re at it?
Sometimes I serve this crock pot chili over a bed of warm, fluffy white rice. The rice soaks up the flavors and reduces the heat for those who don’t like it spicy.
You can also try serving it with a side of cornbread or tortilla chips, which my kids absolutely adore. They love the crunch and often use the chips as a spoon to scoop up the chili.
💭How to Store
This Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili keeps well in the fridge for up to 3 days. Once it’s cooled, you can transfer it to an airtight container. I prefer using glass containers because they don’t hold onto the smell or stain as much as plastic ones do.
The chili can be stored in the refrigerator for about 3-4 days. If you plan to keep it longer, consider freezing it. The chili freezes well and can be stored in the freezer for up to a month. Just remember, always label your containers with the date, or you will end up playing “guess the leftovers” in the freezer.
When you’re ready to eat your frozen chili, simply heat it up on the stovetop on medium heat or in the microwave. You’ve got yourself a quick and easy meal ready to enjoy.
⭐Tips for Buffalo Chicken Chili
Be sure to check out the step by step instructions
- My family likes it hot, but not all palates are the same. So, when it comes to the hot sauce, feel free to adjust the heat to your family’s liking. If you’re uncertain about the heat level, start with a smaller amount of hot sauce. You can always add more when you serve it.
- Make this recipe even easier by using a pound of ground chicken instead of chicken breasts. Then you can skip right over the shredding the chicken step.
- Slow cooker or Instant Pot? Both have their merits, but I prefer the slow cooker for this recipe. There’s just something about letting those flavors mingle all day long that makes the chili taste even better.
Nope. You should never, ever use frozen chicken in a slow cooker for food safety reasons. If you want to use frozen chicken find a recipe for Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Chili.
If you’re not a celery fan, feel free to leave it out. Your buffalo chicken chili will still be as hearty and delicious as ever.
Sure thing! This buffalo chicken chili recipe is great for meal prep. Just cook it up, let it cool, and store it in the fridge. It’ll be ready for you when you need it on chaotic weeknights.
Did You Make This? Leave a Star Rating!
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can navy beans 15 ounces, rinsed
- 1 can tomatoes with green chilies 10 ounces
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 ounces
- ½ cup buffalo wing hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 envelope ranch dressing seasoning 1 ounce
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened and cubed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Blue cheese and green onions for garnish
- Add the chicken, chicken broth, navy beans, tomatoes with chilies, tomato sauce, wing sauce, onion powder, garlic salt, and ranch dressing to your slow cooker.1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, 2 cups chicken broth, 1 can navy beans, 1 can tomatoes with green chilies, 1 can tomato sauce, ½ cup buffalo wing hot sauce, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon garlic salt, 1 envelope ranch dressing seasoning
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Take out the chicken and shred it. It should fall apart easily.
- Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker, along with the cubed cream cheese and cheddar cheese.8 ounces cream cheese, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cover and cook another 15 minutes or until both cheeses are melted.
- Top with crumbled blue cheese and scallions.Blue cheese and green onions for garnish
- When it comes to the hot sauce, adjust the heat to your family’s liking. If you’re uncertain about the heat level, start with a smaller amount of hot sauce. You can always have extra wing sauce on the table when you serve it.
- Make this recipe even easier by using a pound of ground chicken instead of chicken breasts. Then, you can skip right over the shredding of the chicken step.
- Use whatever kind of beans your family likes best.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition facts are estimates.