This quick and easy Caribbean chicken rice bowl is a delicious dinner idea you can have on the table for your family in less than 30 minutes. Rice is topped off with Caribbean jerk chicken, beans, red pepper and mango for an easy all in one dinner.
But easy doesn’t have to mean boring! A few simple touches like new and unusual spices can turn a simple chicken and rice dinner into an exciting meal with very little effort.
Rice Bowls for Dinner
Rice bowls are one of my favorite weeknight dinners because they are so quick to make. And you can change them up by varying the protein and the vegetables so dinner is fast without being boring!
For this Caribbean chicken rice bowl I wanted to introduce some tropical flavors, which make a nice contrast to this winter’s snow and cold. I can serve up a Caribbean inspired meal to remind my family that summer will be here before we know it. It is nice to enjoy a taste of the islands while the yard is blanketed in snow!
The ingredients in the chicken rice bowls are all simple and easy to find. I found them all at my local Walmart. The Minute® Ready to Serve Rice was in the rice aisle. I used the Minute® Ready to Serve Cilantro & Lime Jasmine Rice in this meal, but I bought all the flavors.
I bought fresh green beans, a mango and a red pepper to provide both color and taste for the bowl. Fresh chicken tenders cook quickly, so I got a package of them along with Caribbean jerk seasoning to flavor them. All of these ingredients can be found at your local Walmart.
I like to add a sauce to rice bowls, but rather than make one from scratch, I just grabbed a bottle of salad dressing. The creamy cool flavor of the dressing contrasts nicely with the spicy jerk seasoning.
To top the whole thing off and garnish the meal, I bought a bag of fried plantains. They add a bit of crunch to the final dish and really make it seem like a tropical inspired dish.
How to Make the Rice Bowl
1. Chop the Fruit & Vegetables
Chop up the red pepper and the green beans. Then cut the mango into bite sized pieces. It doesn’t take very long to prepare this dish, so it is best to get the fruit and vegetables ready to go before you start cooking.
2. Cook the Chicken
Cut the chicken tenders into bite sized pieces and coat them with jerk seasoning. I like to be pretty generous with the seasoning so that the chicken is spicy.
Heat a skillet over medium heat and spray it with some cooking spray. Cook the chicken, stirring, for 6-8 minutes, until it is cooked through and browned. Take the chicken out and put in a bowl.
3. Briefly Cook the Beans
Toss the beans in the same skillet as the chicken and let them cook for about 2 minutes.
4. Cook the Rice
Follow the directions on the package to cook the Minute® Ready to Serve Cilantro & Lime Jasmine Rice. It is heated in the microwave in just 90 seconds.
5. Put Everything Together and Serve
Put the rice in serving bowls and top it off with chicken, green beans, red pepper and mango. Then sprinkle on some plantain chips and drizzle on a little bit of delicious dressing.
Caribbean Chicken Rice Bowl
This quick and easy Caribbean chicken rice bowl is a delicious dinner idea you can have on the table for your family in less than 30 minutes.
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 pound green beans
- 1 mango
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders
- 4 cups Minute® Ready to Serve Rice Cilantro & Lime Jasmine Rice
- 1 Tablespoon Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 4 Tablespoons plantain chips
- 4 Tablespoons green goddess dressing
- Slice the red pepper and green beans into bite sized pieces. Dice the mango.
- Cut the chicken tenders into small pieces and toss with the Caribbean jerk seasoning.
- Put a skillet on the stove on medium heat. Add the chicken and cook for 6-8 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and brown. Remove the chicken to a bowl.
- Put the green beans in the skillet and cook for two minutes.
- Heat the Minute® Ready to Serve Cilantro & Lime Jasmine Rice as directed on the package, for 90 seconds in the microwave. Heat each rice cup separately.
- Divide the rice into 4 bowls. Top the rice with chicken, green beans, red pepper and mango, dividing the ingredients evenly.
- Add fried plantains and dressing on top of the rice bowls.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 611Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 1096mgCarbohydrates: 68gFiber: 5gSugar: 17gProtein: 26g
Nutrition facts are estimates.