Recently Redpack Tomatoes sent me some tomatoes and delicious recipe for using canned tomatoes in summer salads. I like this idea, because around here vine ripened tomatoes are still at least a month away, and the tomatoes at the grocery store are usually picked before they ripen, so they lack flavor.
Canned tomatoes are picked ripe, which makes them juicy, healthy, and economical. Because of that, they are perfect for salads all year round. The Redpack test kitchen has developed some delicious salad recipes which incorporate summer fruit, like this Chicken Blueberry Chopped Salad.
- 2 1/2 cups butter lettuce, chopped
- 2 ears grilled corn, cut off the cob
- 1 cup cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 28 oz Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup light raspberry vinaigrette
- In a large salad bowl combine lettuce, corn, chicken, avocado, blueberries, Redpack Petite Diced Tomatoes, bacon and cheese.
- Sprinkle with salt and black pepper then toss thoroughly.
- Pour dressing over salad, and then toss once again.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348Saturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 1019mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 7gSugar: 23gProtein: 13g
In addition right now Redpack is running a Facebook promotion, the Toss in the Flavor contest, with a grand pize of a Gourmet Picnic Gift Basket, and an additional 3,00o tote bags as prizes.Â To enter visit the RedPack Tomatoes Facebook page.