This post contains affiliate links.
It seems like everyone has too much zucchini this time of year, because it is so prolific! Here is a fun way to use up some of that extra zucchini from the garden. Shredded zucchini added to the batter makes this cake nice and moist.
It would be healthier if you left off the frosting, but cake isn’t really supposed to be healthy, even if it has zucchini in it. My younger daughter doesn’t like chocolate cake much, but she took a small piece and like it so much she asked for seconds. Once she found out there was zucchini in it she made a face, but she still finished her piece off and had another piece the next day!
Chocolate Coconut Zucchini Cake
- Preheat oven to 350, and grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Cream the oil, butter and sugar. Then add the eggs and mix well.
- Mix buttermilk and zucchini together.
- Combine all dry ingredients (cocoa powder, baking soda, salk, baking powder, flour) in a bowl.
- Then add the dry and wet mixtures alternately to the sugar mixture. Stir until well combined but don't over mix.
- Fold in chocolate chips, if desired, and put into the prepared pan. Bake for 45-60 minutes, until the middle of the cake is firm.
- Frost when cool and decorate with coconut chips.