This is a delicious chocolate cake with a rich raspberry filling. Honestly I usually just make cakes from a mix, but last week I decided to make a chocolate cake from scratch, and it was much better than a cake mix. The recipe has sour cream, and it mades the cake layers nice and moist.
It was supposed to be a three layer cake, but one of the layers didn’t come out of the pan well, so it ended up only being two. The kids happily ate the messed up cake layer for me though! I only greased the cake pans, and I guess I should have both greased and flowered them. The cake recipe is from Taste of Home.
The filling is mostly just raspberries with a little bit of sugar. You could make the filling which strawberries too, which would eliminate the need to strain out the seeds. It is a very strong tasting filling, and goes well with chocolate. For a frosting I modified our favorite whipped cream frosting by using raspberry extract, instead of vanilla. This cake was delicious, and perfect for Valentine’s Day.
Chocolate Raspberry Cake
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cup flour
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 oz. frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoon cornstarch
Raspberry Whipped Cream Frosting
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon raspberry extract
- red food coloring
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Dissolve cocoa in boiling water; then let it cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Cream butter and sugar until light. Add the eggs, mixing well after each one. Then add the vanilla.
- Mix the baking soda, baking powder and salt into the flour. Add to the mixing bowl alternately with the sour cream.
- Add in the cooled cocoa mixture and mix.
- Put in three greased and floured round baking pans. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Thaw raspberries.
- Combine with lemon juice and sugar in a pan, and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the mixture is thickened and the berries are mushy. Let mixture cool.
- Strain the mixture to removed the seeds.
- Mix in the cornstarch and heat the filling again, stirring constantly until it thickens.
Raspberry Whipped Cream Frosting
- Mix the cream cheese and sugar until well combined and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and food coloring for a nice pink color.
- Mix in the cream until the frosting is smooth and spreadable.
- Put the filling in between the cake layers and spread the frosting on top. Decorate with raspberries.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 619Saturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 132mgSodium: 476mgCarbohydrates: 88gFiber: 5gSugar: 56gProtein: 7g
17 thoughts on “Chocolate Raspberry Cake”
I need this! Oh my goodness it looks so good!
Oh my gosh! This cake looks absolutely amazing!
That cake is absolutely beautiful.
The cake looks wonderful!! too pretty to eat!
Your cake looks so delicious! I’ll be sure to save the recipe and make this some time soon.
chocolate raspberry is my favorite flavor combo – I bet it’s amazing!
ooo my sweet tooth is loving this!!
That is a purdy cake! And looks yummy too.
This looks so good. Both delicious and pretty! I can’t wait to try this. I love trying new recipes. I’m sure my husband won’t mind trying it!
Oh my goodness! Looks so yummy! I heard putting sour cream in chocolate cake makes it very moist. I’ll have to try this recipe!
This sounds amazing – I’m drooling on my keyboard a little right now!
This looks so yummy!
I have a friend who bakes the most amazing cakes, and she swears by sour cream.
Now that is one yummy, decadent sounding cake!
I just love everything about this cake. Everything! It looks so delicious and it really does sound moist with the sour cream in there. 🙂
This looks absolutely scrumptious!
Yummy! I know what you mean about “scratch” cakes tasting better – and the funny thing is that they really aren’t all that much more difficult. Yet, I still grab a box mix at least half the time.
Thanks for sharing this recipe – I am pinning for later.
The amount of sour cream is not listed.