I love Chile Rellenos, but making them is pretty complicated, since it involves roasting, stuffing and deep frying the peppers. So I came up with this much simpler way to get a similar taste, by making an easy Chile Rellenos Casserole.
To make this casserole really simple you could use canned chile peppers, but I chose to use fresh ones instead. I used four different types of chile peppers for the casserole, Poblano, Anaheim, California and Jalapeno peppers.
All of them but the Jalapeno are relatively mild, but if you wanted to make things spicier it would be easy to pick hotter peppers! A gas oven or grill is usually suggested for roasting the peppers. But I don’t have a gas oven, and my grill is covered in snow, so I just heated them on our pancake griddle on the stove.
After about 20 minutes of turning peppers I had them nicely blackened and roasted.
I topped them with Monterey Jack cheese and added some milk, eggs and cornmeal, similar to the coating you would find on the fried Chiles Rellenos
My kids loved this with tortilla chips, and it makes a great game time treat for football snacking!
- 2 poblano chile peppers
- 2 anaheim chile peppers
- 1 California green chile pepper
- 1 Jalapeno chile pepper
- 6 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Roast the chile peppers by broiling or cooking over a flame until the skin is blackened.
- Let them sit in a bowl covered in plastic wrap for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450.
- Peel the blackened skin off the peppers, then remove the seeds and chop.
- Spread the chili peppers in a casserole pan and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Combine the eggs, milk, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a bowl, and mix well making sure there are no lumps.
- Pour the mixture over the chile peppers and cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 144 Saturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 81mg Sodium: 352mg Carbohydrates: 8g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 8g
Find more Appetizer Ideas for Parties