These Lemon Blueberry Shortbread cookies are tasty shortbread treats with a hint of fruit.
To get the fruity taste I made a basic shortbread recipe and added some dried blueberries to the dough.
One of the things I find annoying about shortbread is cutting the butter into the dough using a pastry cutter. It takes so long, but I love the crumbly shortbread that results. So this time I tried making the shortbread in the food processor. It worked pretty well, and when I added the dried blueberries they got processed into smaller pieces too, spreading the blueberry flavor and leaving pretty purple swirls all through the dough.
After the cookies were baked and cooled I made simple glaze with powdered sugar and lemon juice, and drizzled it over the cookies. To top them off and make them pretty I added some lemon zest on top. These cookies have so little sugar on them that a sugary glaze goes perfectly!
The cookies have a nice delicate flavor, with distinct lemon and blueberry flavors which complement each other and are perfect for tea time!
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 2 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup dried blueberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Add the flour, sugar and salt to the food processor and pulse a few times to mix.
- Cut the butter into 8 slices and add to the food processor, and pulse until the dough is small crumbs. OR use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour.
- Dump the dough onto a floured surface and squeeze it together into a ball.
- Roll and pat the dough into a thickness of 1/4 inch and cut using a cookie cutter. Reroll the scraps to use up all the dough.
- Bake the cookies for 20 minutes, until they just start to brown on the edges.
- Once the cookies are completely cool mix the lemon juice with the powdered sugar and drizzle it over the cookies. Top them off with freshly grated lemon zest.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 87Saturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 58mgCarbohydrates: 12gSugar: 6g