These Lemon Blueberry Shortbread cookies are tasty shortbread treats with a hint of fruit.
To get the fruity taste I made a basic shortbread recipe and added some dried blueberries to the dough.
One of the things I find annoying about shortbread is cutting the butter into the dough using a pastry cutter. It takes so long, but I love the crumbly shortbread that results. So this time I tried making the shortbread in the food processor. It worked pretty well, and when I added the dried blueberries they got processed into smaller pieces too, spreading the blueberry flavor and leaving pretty purple swirls all through the dough.
After the cookies were baked and cooled I made simple glaze with powdered sugar and lemon juice, and drizzled it over the cookies. To top them off and make them pretty I added some lemon zest on top. These cookies have so little sugar on them that a sugary glaze goes perfectly!
The cookies have a nice delicate flavor, with distinct lemon and blueberry flavors which complement each other and are perfect for tea time!
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 2 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup dried blueberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Add the flour, sugar and salt to the food processor and pulse a few times to mix.
- Cut the butter into 8 slices and add to the food processor, and pulse until the dough is small crumbs. OR use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour.
- Dump the dough onto a floured surface and squeeze it together into a ball.
- Roll and pat the dough into a thickness of 1/4 inch and cut using a cookie cutter. Reroll the scraps to use up all the dough.
- Bake the cookies for 20 minutes, until they just start to brown on the edges.
- Once the cookies are completely cool mix the lemon juice with the powdered sugar and drizzle it over the cookies. Top them off with freshly grated lemon zest.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 87Saturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 58mgCarbohydrates: 12gSugar: 6g
Cookies in the afternoon at “teatime” are a long held tradition, whether served with tea, coffee or even milk for an after school snack. No matter what you serve with your cookies, we’ve got a great list for you to choose from!
You can also use us as a great resource for cookie recipes. Be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them here at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Lilikoi-Lime Shortbread Thumbprint Cookies from All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Rich Tea Biscuits from Food Lust People Love
- Lemon Poppyseed Shortbread Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chai-Scotti from What Smells So Good?
- Buttermilk Cookies with Nutmeg and Thyme from The Spiced Life
- Chocolate Covered Digestive Biscuits from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Lemon Blueberry Shortbread Cookies from Upstate Ramblings
- London Fog Cookies from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Lemon Basil Marmalade Cookies from 2 Cookin Mamas
- Honey and Vanilla Madeleines from A Baker’s House