Here in New York it is a yucky February day complete with snow, sleet and freezing rain, so a hint of the tropics sound good right now! Sadly I won’t be in the tropics anytime soon, but a tropical cookie like these Mojito Sugar Cookies can help me dream about warm and sunny climates.
Mojitos are a traditional Cuban drink, and the simple flavors are perfect for cookies. These Mojito Sugar Cookies are made with a mixture of lime and mint, with the rum added on as a glaze.
I took my basic sugar cookie recipe, added lime zest, lime juice and mint leaves, and increased the flour a little bit to offset the extra liquid. When I have recipes that call for lime zest I sometimes skip it, because it is kind of a pain to zest citrus. But I think it is essential in this recipe, and in addition to adding flavor, the lime zest and mint combine to make pretty green flecks in the cookies.
I decided not to add rum in the cookies, because I think the flavoring would have been lost during baking. So I made a simple rum glaze instead to drizzle on top of the cookies. If you want to make the cookies non-alcoholic you could use lime juice instead of rum for the glaze.
Or you could leave the glaze off the Mojito Sugar Cookies entirely. I ate a few before I glazed them and they were tasty!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 lime
- 2 Tablespoon mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoon rum
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Cream the butter and sugar until well mixed.
- Zest and juice the lime and add the zest and juice to the butter and sugar mix.
- Put the mint leaves in a food processor to mince finely, and add to the butter and sugar mix.
- Add the vanilla and egg to the mixture and mix until well combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt and mix until dough is firm.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and squish with a drinking glass.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheets for 11 minutes, until brown on the bottom.
- To make the glaze, whisk the powdered sugar and rum until smooth. Drizzle over the cookies.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 104Saturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 108mgCarbohydrates: 15gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g