Chocolate covered pretzels are one of my favorite treats, because the combination of sweet and salty is perfect. So for the holidays it made sense to me to make some chocolate pretzels and cover them with peppermints instead of sprinkles!
These are simple to make, and lots of fun for kids to do too. My kids’ favorite part is taking peppermint candies and hammering them to break them apart. Just make sure you double bag the candies before hammering, or there will be peppermint dust everywhere.
I have tried all kinds of ways to melt the chocolate wafers for these pretzels before, but this time I microwaved them in a glass pie plate. This worked well, because the pretzel rods were able to lay flat and it was easy to roll them in the chocolate and get them completely covered.
We used green and red peppermints for a nice variety of color in our finished Peppermint Pretzel Sticks!
- 12 pretzel rods
- 1 bag white chocolate melting wafers
- green and red peppermint candy
- Unwrap about 20 candies of one color and put them in a zip top bag. Put that bag inside another one, and then hammer the candies until they are broken up.
- Pour the candies out onto a sheet of waxed paper.
- Repeat with the other color of candy.
- Cover a cookie sheet with waxed paper.
- Melt the chocolate wafers in a pie plate for 30 seconds. Stir and keep microwaving them 30 seconds at a time until they are completely melted.
- Dip a pretzel in the melted chocolate, turning to completely cover it. Then roll it in one of the colors of peppermint candy.
- Put the dipped pretzel on the cookie sheet to harden and repeat with the rest of the pretzel rods.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 20Sodium: 12mg
What easy treats are you making this Christmas season?