Meatballs are one of my favorite appetizers, because they are so quick and easy to make. This recipe for Sweet & Sour Meatballs is perfect for serving at a party, or just enjoying for dinner. To make the meatballs Asian inspired I used mushrooms and fish sauce in the meatballs, and then cooked them in a Sweet & Sour sauce.
The sauce is very simple to make by mixing ketchup and rice vinegar with a little sugar, and then entire dish can be ready in 30-40 minutes.Â It is also great to make ahead for a party, and the meatballs can be frozen and then thawed by heating them in the sauce.Â The sauce is very flavorful, and for a shortcut you could skip making the meatballs and just heat some store bought frozen meatballs in the sauce.
- 2 lb ground beef
- 8 Shitake Mushrooms
- 2 shallots
- 2 Tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 Tablespoon tomato paste
- salt & pepper to taste
Sweet & Sour Sauce
- 1 1/2 cup ketchup
- 4 teaspoon spicy mustard
- 2/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup Worcester Sauce
- 2 Tablespoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- To make the meatballs dice the mushrooms and shallots finely.
- Combine them with the remaining meatball ingredients and mix well.
- Form the meat into 1 inch balls and place on a rack on a tray.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- To make the sauce combine all the ingredients in a sauce pan and cook for 10 minutes. Add the meatballs when they are done and mix gently.
- Cook the sauce and meatballs together for another 5 minutes.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 63Saturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 178mgCarbohydrates: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g
What appetizers are you serving this holiday season?