I have a lot of eggplant from my garden this year. I only planted one plant, but it is producing like crazy. It is kind of odd, since the green pepper plants right next to it are doing nothing. So I’ve been searching for eggplant recipes. I like this Eggplant Parmesan recipe because it doesn’t involve frying the eggplant, which defeats the health benefits of eating vegetables in the first place. By not frying the eggplant and using just a little cheese this makes a great, nutritious side dish. I made this with my white eggplant and heirloom tomatoes, but I’m sure it would be great with purple eggplant and regular tomatoes too.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 small eggplant or one large, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 oz. mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Brush oil over each side of egglplant slices. Sprinkle with garlic. Arrange in a baking dish and bake for 15 minutes.
- Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees. Flip eggplant over. Sprinkle with basil and Parmesan cheese.
- Top with tomatoes and mozzarella cheese and bake, covered for 20 minutes.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Saturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 76mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 14gSugar: 17gProtein: 7g