These are a great simple meal. I like the fact you can prepare them ahead of time, and then grill them when you are ready to eat. Tonight I will be watching my son play baseball before my husband gets home from work, but I can leave sandwiches for him and my daughters to have for dinner. So even though we aren’t eating as a family at least we are not eating fast food. I don’t have a panini press, so I just flatten the sandwiches with a cast iron skillet.
- 1 loaf of Italian bread
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- lots of basil, we use at least 1/4 c.
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 4 oz. very thin slices prosciutto
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- cooking spray
- Split bread, and spread mayonnaise on each half. Top with basil, mozzarella cheese and tomatoes. One of my kids doesn't like tomatoes, so I leave them off her sandwich.
- Add provolone cheese and prosciutto, and top with bread.
- Heat a grill pan coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add sandwiches to pan. Put a big cast iron skillet on top of sandwiches to flatten. Cook 3 minutes on each side.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 344 Saturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 55mg Sodium: 670mg Carbohydrates: 3g Sugar: 2g Protein: 18g