These Valentine’s sugar cookies are an easy dessert for the holiday!
I made the cookies by using two sizes of heart shaped cookie cutters, and cutting out a heart shaped window in half the cookies.
After they were baked, I dipped the tops of the cookies in powdered sugar, and sandwiched the layers together with pink frosting.
I thought about using white frosting on the tops of the cookies, but I felt it would make them too sweet. The powdered sugar gave them a pretty white look without too much sweetness. I had never used powdered sugar like that before, but it came out looking cute, like the cookies are dusted with snow. And at here in upstate NY we have plenty of snow and will be having a white Valentine’s Day!
Valentine's Sugar Cookies
These heart shaped cookies are a Valentine's day treat.
- 2.5 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Vanilla frosting
- red food coloring
- Powdered sugar
- Mix the butter and sugar for about 3 minutes, until well combined.
- Add in egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Mix in the flour and salt until just combined.
- Chill the dough for 1-2 hours.
- When you are ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Roll out half of the dough, and use a large heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out the bottom cookies.
- Then roll out the rest of the dough and use the same cookie cutter to cut out the tops, but use a smaller heart cookie cutter to cut a window in the cookies.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges start to brown.
- Cool completely.
- Use the food coloring to make the icing pink.
- Dip the cookie tops in powdered sugar and sandwich the tops and bottoms together with the pink frosting.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 83Saturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 84mgCarbohydrates: 10gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g