With St. Patrick’s Day coming up I have been doing some cooking with Irish booze. Last weekend I made these delicious Guinness Chocolate Chip Cookies!
The booze in these cookies is cooked for about 15 minutes with sugar to make a thick Guinness syrup, which adds just a hit of richness and flavor to the cookies. If you don’t know what the secret ingredient is you would never guess that is is Guiness.
I used a combination of white chocolate chips and dark chocolate chips for an extra chocolatey taste. My husband and kids loved these cookies. They are a perfect treat for St. Patrick’s Day, and make a nice twist on traditional chocolate chip cookies.
- 1 bottle Guinness stout
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- 2¾ c. flour
- 5 T. cocoa powder
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. salt
- 1 c. butter
- 1 c. sugar
- ½ c. brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 T. vanilla extract
- 1 c. white chocolate chips
- 1 c. dark chocolate chips
- Combine the Guiness and ¼ c. brown sugar in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring for about 15-20 minutes until it has reduced and becomes thick.
- Put the Guiness syrup aside to cool a bit.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Mix the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- In a mixer bowl cream the butter with the white and brown sugar until well mixed.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- Add the dry ingredients and the Guiness mixture and mix.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Roll the dough into balls and bake on parchment lined cookie sheets for 12-15 minutes.
This post is part of a monthly Creative Cookie Exchange!
The theme this month is Drunken Cookies! Cookies made with booze and/or inspired by booze, we have them all! If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links.
You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes–be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them here at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Rosemary Bourbon Chocolate Chunk Cookies with Smoked Sea Salt from The Spiced Life
- Tipsy Chocolate Cherry Cookies from Our Good Life
- Cherry Blossom Tea Cookies from NinjaBaker
- Cinnamon Raisin Blondies from What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Macarons with Bourbon Praline Buttercream from Sweet Cinnamon & Honey
- Amaretto Tricolor Cookies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Whiskey Raisin Oatmeal Bars from Food Lust People Love
- Frosted Orange Cookies from Magnolia Days
- Coffee and Irish Cream Sandwich Cookies from Spiceroots
- Chocolate Chip Guinness Cookies from Upstate Ramblings
- Amaretti Biscuits from A Baker’s House
- Bourbon Creams from Baking in Pyjamas
- Chocolate Rum Balls from Noshing With The Nolands
- White Chocolate Chip & Frangelico Hazelnut Cookies from Made With Love
- Nutella Baileys Cookies from Basic N Delicious