This is a perfect treat for Valentineâ€™s Day – Chocolate Brownies layered with frosting, chocolate and strawberry candy.
One of the things I like about this dessert is that since it based on a boxed brownie mix,Â it is very quick and easy to make. I like to make treats that look complex but are really simple.
The brownies are frosted with a simple strawberry frosting, and then topped off with a layer of gooey melted chocolate.
Then they are finished off with a layer of crushed strawberry candies. My kids loved these, but they are pretty sweet!
So if you have a little bit less of a sweet tooth you could leave off the crushed candy and it would be more chocolatey.Â Next time I am going to make half with the crushed candy for the kids and half without for the adults.
- One batch of brownies from a mix, made in a 13 x 9 pan
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 1½ tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 8 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Hard Strawberry candies, crushed
- Bake brownies and cool completely.
- Strawberry Icing Layer - Melt the butter for the icing. Then combine it with the powdered sugar, cream and strawberry extract until it is smooth and creamy. Spread it over the brownies evenly and refrigerate for half an hour.
- Chocolate Layer â€“ Chop the chocolate up, and combine it with the butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave it until it is melted, stirring it every 30 seconds. Pour the chocolate evenly over the brownies and top with crushed candy.
- Refrigerate for another 30 minutes to set the chocolate, then cut into brownies.
What treats are you making for Valentine’s Day?