This is a perfect treat for Valentine’s Day! I was inspired by the Peppermint Bars recipe found on the McCormick website. I made the Peppermint Bars for Christmas, and they were very popular with everyone, so I decide to change the recipe up and make it a Valentine’s Day dessert.
One of the things I like about this is that it is pretty easy to make, since it based on a boxed brownie mix. It is made by spreading strawberry icing over a prepared pan of brownies, and then topping it off with a layer of chocolate and crushed candy. My kids favorite part of making these is hammering the candy to crush it!
I sent a plate of these with my son to his Boy Scout meeting, and they were a bit hit. But if you have a little bit less of a sweet tooth you could leave off the crushed candy and it would be more chocolaty.
Strawberry Chocolate Brownies
One batch of brownies from a mix, made in a 13 x 9 pan
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cream
- 1 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 8 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Hard Strawberry candies, crushed
- Bake brownies and cool completely.
- Strawberry Icing Layer – Melt the butter for the icing. Then combine it with the powdered sugar, cream and strawberry extract until it is smooth and creamy. Spread it over the brownies evenly and refrigerate for half an hour.
- Chocolate Layer – Chop the chocolate up, and combine it with the butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave it until it is melted, stirring it every 30 seconds. Pour the chocolate evenly over the brownies and top with crushed candy.
- Refrigerate for another 30 minutes to set the chocolate, then cut into brownies.