Air fryer chicken leg quarters are a perfect weeknight dinner. Crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside, they have tender meat with delicious flavor. Leg quarters have a good balance of dark meat and skin, adding extra flavor and texture.
The juicy chicken meat makes leg quarters a crowd-pleaser. Plus, they are easy to season and flavor, making it easy to customize them to your liking. And you don’t need to add any extra oil, so there are no added calories or fat.
They are also effortless to make. With just a few simple ingredients and minimal prep, you can quickly have a delicious and healthy meal on the table.
The air fryer does all the work for you, and you don’t even have to flip them over. You can sit back and relax while your dinner cooks. In this article, I’ll share how to make chicken leg quarters in the air fryer, give you creative seasoning ideas, serving suggestions, and all my best tips for making air fryer chicken leg quarters!
Love air fryer chicken? Try these simple recipes for air fryer chicken thighs, air fryer chicken breast, air fryer chicken legs, and air fryer whole chicken.
🍗Why Use Chicken Leg Quarters?
Leg quarters are one of my favorite cuts of meat, and I make them frequently for my family. They are a budget-friendly option, which is important considering how expensive groceries have become.
Plus, they are so easy to cook. They are very forgiving and can withstand a wide range of cooking temperatures and methods, making them an excellent option for all cooks, regardless of your experience level. So make some for dinner this week!
For exact amounts needed see the recipe card below
- Chicken leg quarters
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
🥣How to Make Leg Quarters in Air Fryer
- Prep – Coat the raw chicken with paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Spread it around both sides and get some seasoning underneath the skin.
- Cook – Put the leg quarters in the air fryer with the skin side down. Air fry at 380 degrees F for 20-25 minutes. Flip chicken after 15 minutes cook time if you want the skin to be extra crispy.
- Test – Always check to make sure the internal temperature reaches 165 F. Don’t guess when it comes to food safety. Use a meat thermometer.
I used a classic seasoning blend of basic spices here, but there are so many options you can choose from. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Classic BBQ: Use your favorite BBQ rub. Whether you like a Texas-style or brown sugar rub, anything will taste great on chicken.
- Lemon Herb: Combine fresh lemon juice, minced garlic, salt, and chopped herbs like rosemary, thyme, and parsley. Brush the mixture over the pieces before air frying.
- Italian – Coat the leg quarters with Italian seasoning or blend basil, oregano, and thyme.
- Spicy Cajun: Mix cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper.
Another way to add flavor to air fryer chicken quarters is by marinating them for an hour. Try marinating in your favorite sauce or dressing, such as Italian dressing or teriyaki sauce, before air frying for an extra burst of flavor.
Finally, remember the power of herbs. Sprinkle on fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme, and parsley for extra flavor on your chicken leg quarters.
Now that you’ve cooked up some delicious air fried chicken leg quarters, it’s time to think about how to serve them. Here are a few ideas for a tasty chicken dinner:
- Serve with roasted vegetables, such as carrots, zucchini, and bell peppers.
- Add starch, like baked potatoes, rice pilaf, or sweet potato fries.
- Make a salad with mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and a tangy vinaigrette dressing.
💭How to Store
Store leftover chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 days. You can use the leftovers the same way you’d use any chicken meat, by adding it to taco bowls, soups, or a salad.
Or you can reheat the leg quarters in the air fryer. Cook the leftovers in the air fryer at 360 F for about 6 minutes until warm.
Find More Air Fryer Recipes!
Be sure to check out the step by step instructions
- Pat the pieces dry with a paper towel before seasoning them. This will help the seasoning stick to the meat.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket; keep the leg quarters in a single layer. If you have too much in the basket, they won’t cook evenly, and you’ll end up with some overcooked pieces, and others undercooked.
- Start the chicken with the skin side down.
- While you don’t have to flip them over, turning the chicken after 15 minutes will give you golden brown, crispy skin.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to check the internal temperature of the meat. The chicken must reach an internal temperature of 165°F before it’s safe to eat.
Yes, you can air fry frozen chicken leg quarters. But the texture of the meat will be better if you thaw them first. If you do decide to air fry frozen leg quarters, add an extra 10-20 minutes to the cooking time, and make sure to use an instant-read thermometer to be sure they are thoroughly cooked.
A chicken leg quarter is made up of the drumstick and thigh of a chicken. It is a popular cut because it is inexpensive, flavorful, and juicy.
Leg quarters are dark meat. The thigh and drumstick are both dark meat.
No, you do not have to take the skin off. Even if you don’t eat the skin, leaving it on can help keep the meat moist and flavorful. However, if you prefer chicken without skin, you can remove it before air frying.
Did You Make This? Leave a Star Rating!
Air Fryer Chicken Leg Quarters Recipe
- 2 chicken leg quarters
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Mix the paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper together. Pat each piece of chicken dry with a paper towel. Coat the leg quarters with the spice mix, getting some under the skin.1 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 2 chicken leg quarters
- Put in the air fryer basket with the skin side down. Air fry at 380 degrees F for 20-25 minutes. For the crispiest skin, flip them over after 15 minutes.
- Use an instant-read digital thermometer to verify the internal temperature has reached 165 F.
- Switch things up and use a different spice blend, like a BBQ rub, Cajun seasoning, or lemon pepper seasoning.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket; keep the leg quarters in a single layer.
- Start the chicken with the skin side down.
- While you don’t have to flip them over, turning the chicken after 15 minutes gives you golden brown, crispy skin.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to check the internal temperature of the meat. Chicken must reach an internal temperature of 165°F to be safe to eat.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition facts are estimates.