Air fryer hot dogs are a quick and easy recipe! Cooking hot dogs in an air fryer gives you perfectly cooked hot dogs with little effort. You can even air fryer frozen hot dogs!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Hot dogs are one of the easiest meals to make when you need a quick dinner or want a hot lunch fast! And using an air fryer is one of the best ways to cook them!
You can cook hot dogs with almost anything – boiling, microwaving, pan frying or even by making crock pot hot dogs. I’d say that hot dogs taste best outside over an open campfire, but other than that air fryer hot dogs are the best.
Now you might enjoy grilled hot dogs and I will agree that they can taste good. But grilling is hard to control and when you grill it is easy to end up with burnt hot dogs.
When I grill hot dogs I usually have few that have burnt ends and extra crispy edges. It is just difficult to perfectly regulate the temperature and to turn the hot dogs at the right time and ensure even cooking.
With an air fryer your hot dogs will be a little bit crispy and brown outside, but not burnt, and juicy inside. And you get these perfect hot dogs with almost no effort!
Why You Will Love Air Fryer Hot Dogs
- Hot dogs are ridiculously simple to cook in the air fryer. Your kids can learn to do this, and then they can make themselves a quick dinner if they hate the healthy meal you have prepared.
- You can even cook frozen hot dogs in the air fryer! You don’t have to plan ahead.
- Use the air fryer to crisp the buns right along with the hot dogs as they cook. Toasted hot dog buns make hot dogs taste much better.
- It is easy to add a quick topping to the hot dogs as they cook, like chili, sauerkraut or cheese. This turns a basic hot dog into a gourmet creation. Ok, that might be an exaggeration, but it does make hot dogs taste better and adds some excitement to a boring meal.
- Hot dogs – You can use any kind of hot dogs. They can be all beef, all pork, kosher, or whatever you like. Here in New York state it seems like every region has their own local hot dog manufacturer, so use whatever your family likes best.
- Buns – My family is partial to New England style hot dog buns, so that is what I use in these pictures. These buns do toast very well in the air fryer, but any style bun will work.
How to Air Fry Hot Dogs
Because hot dogs cook so quickly it is important to preheat the air fryer before cooking them. Preheat at 390 degrees F for 2 minutes.
Once the air fryer has preheated add the hot dogs to the air fryer basket. Don’t over crowd the basket. My 5.8 quart air fryer easily fits 6 hot dogs. Cook the hot dogs at 390 F for 5 minutes.
3. Add Buns
After 5 minutes of cooking time take the basket out of the air fryer. Put the hot dogs into buns and return them to the air fryer at 390 F for another 2 minutes of cooking.
The air fryer probably won’t fit as many hot dogs once they are in buns. I usually put 3 or 4 hot dogs in buns in the air fryer at one time.
The extra 2 minutes of cooking time in buns finishes heating the hot dogs and toasts the buns nicely. After the 2 minutes take the hot dogs out and serve them.
Can I Air Fry Frozen Hot Dogs?
Yes, frozen hot dogs can be cook in a very similar manner to fresh hot dogs, they just need to cook a little longer and at a slightly lower temperature. Cook frozen hot dogs for 10 minutes at 380 F for best results.
Here are the detailed instructions for how to air fry frozen hot dogs.
1. Score the Hot Dogs
If your hot dogs are frozen cut some slits into the hot dogs in Vs or Xs before cooking. This will ensure the hot dogs don’t explode as they cook.
Preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees F for 2 minutes. I prefer to cook frozen hot dogs at a slightly lower temperature than fresh ones. This ensure they don’t get too brown before they finish cooking.
Cook the frozen hot dogs in a 380 F air fryer for 8 minutes. Take the basket out and shake it half way through the cooking time to ensure even cooking.
While the hot dogs cook don’t forget to thaw your hot dog buns in the microwave if they are also frozen!
4. Add Buns
After 8 minutes take the hot dogs out of the air fryer and put them in buns. Put them back in the air fryer at 380 F for another 2 minutes.
You can also add some toppings to the hot dogs when you put them in the buns. This makes the hot dogs more interesting and tasty!
To do this add about 2 Tablespoons of your favorite hot dog topping to the bun when you add the hot dog. Don’t overfill the buns or you will end up with a big mess all over your air fryer!
While the air fryer finishes cooking the hot dogs it will also warm up the toppings. Some suggested toppings are:
How to Serve
Once the hot dogs are done serve them with your favorite condiments! Mustard, ketchup, fry sauce, relish and spicy mayonnaise are all delicious on hot dogs.
Find More Easy Air Fryer Meals
- 6 Hot Dogs
- 6 Hot Dog Buns
- optional toppings such as sauerkraut, onions, chili, cheese
- assorted condiments
Refrigerated Hot Dogs
- Preheat the air fryer at 390 degrees F for 2 minutes.
- Add the hot dogs to the air fryer basket and cook at 390 F for 4 minutes.
- Take the air fryer basket out. Put each hot dog in a bun and return to the air fryer basket.
- Cook at 390 F for another 2 minutes, then serve.
Frozen Hot Dogs
- Preheat the air fryer at 380 degrees F for 2 minutes.
- Score the hot dogs with a knife so they don't burst while cooking.
- Add the hot dogs to the air fryer basket and cook at 380 F for 8 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through the cooking time.
- Take the air fryer basket out and put each hot dog in a bun. Return them to the air fryer at 380 F for another 2 minutes, then serve.
- If you want to add toppings add them when you put the hot dogs in the buns. Use about 2 Tablespoons of a topping such as chili, sauerkraut or cheese.
- Then cook the hot dogs in the buns for the remaining 2 minutes of cooking time to heat the toppings, toast the rolls and finish warming the hot dogs.
- 2 Tablespoons of shredded cheese
- 2 Tablespoons of chili
- Sauerkraut and onions
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 666mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 11g
Nutrition facts are estimates.