Air fryer hot dogs are a quick, low-effort recipe! Cooking hot dogs in an air fryer gives you perfectly cooked hot dogs with crispy skin and nice golden color in minutes.
Hot dogs are an American staple because they are one of the easiest meals to make when you have a hungry family and want something fast. And air frying is the easiest way to make them, even if your hot dogs are still frozen!
You can toast the buns along with the hot dogs, making them even tastier. Or try the TikTok hack of air frying them inside of frozen breadsticks. Add a quick topping to the hot dogs as they cook, like chili, sauerkraut, or cheese, and turn a basic hot dog into an exciting weeknight meal!
In this post, I give you directions for three great options, so pick the one you prefer:
So get all your favorite toppings together, and let’s get cooking!
❔Why Air Fry Hot Dogs?
You can cook hot dogs in many different ways, like boiling, microwaving, pan frying, or even making crock pot hot dogs. So why air fry them? Mainly because it is fast and takes no effort!
If you boil them, microwave them or use the crock pot, they aren’t going to have crispy skins. And that just makes them less appealing and tasty, at least for my family.
Grilling or pan frying gets the outsides crispy, but you have to keep track of them and turn them to prevent burnt edges. And I don’t want to stand over a hot stove or grill.
With an air fryer, your hot dogs will be a little bit crispy and brown outside but juicy inside. And you get these perfect hot dogs with almost no effort.
For exact amounts needed see the recipe card below
- Hot dogs – You can use any kind you like. They can be all beef, all pork, kosher, ball park, or your favorite variety.
- Buns – My family is partial to New England-style hot dog buns, so that is what I use in these pictures.
- Breadsticks – Try the fun TikTok trend of cooking hot dogs inside frozen breadsticks for something different.
🌭How to Air Fry Hot Dogs (Basic Instructions)
- Preheat – Hot dogs cook so quickly, so it is important to preheat before cooking them. Preheat at 390 degrees F for 2 minutes.
- Cook – Add the hot dogs to the basket, making sure not to overcrowd them. My 5.8 quart Cosori air fryer easily fits 6 hot dogs. Cook the hot dogs at 390 F for 5 minutes.
- Add Buns – Take the basket out and put the hot dogs in the buns. Return them to the air fryer at 390 F for another 2 minutes of cooking.
🔪How to Air Fry Frozen Hot Dogs
Frozen hot dogs can be cooked in a very similar manner to fresh hot dogs.
- Slice – If your hot dogs are frozen, cut diagonal slits into the hot dogs in Vs or Xs before cooking. This will ensure they don’t explode as they cook.
- Preheat – Preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees F for 2 minutes.
- Cook – Air fry the frozen hot dogs at 380 F for 8 minutes. Take the basket out and shake it halfway through the cooking time to ensure even cooking.
- Add Buns – Put the hot dogs in the buns. Place them back in the basket at 380 F for another 2 minutes.
🧡How to Make TikTok Breadstick Hot Dogs
- Preheat – Preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees.
- Cut breadsticks – While the air fryer is heating, slice each frozen breadstick down the middle, making sure not to cut all the way through.
- Cook – Place a hot dog in each breadstick. Air fry at 380 F for 5-7 minutes until the hot dogs and breadsticks reach your desired level of crispness.
🍲Adding Hot Dog Toppings
You can also add toppings to the hot dogs as they cook in the air fryer. This makes it easy to make cheese dogs or warm up classic toppings like chili or sauerkraut.
Add a slice of cheese or 2 Tablespoons of your favorite hot dog topping to the bun for the last 2 minutes of cooking time. Don’t overfill the buns, or you might end up with a big mess.
🍽️How to Serve
Once the hot dogs are done, serve them with your favorite condiments! Mustard, ketchup, fry sauce, bbq sauce, relish, and spicy mayonnaise are all tasty on hot dogs.
Make it a delicious meal by adding some air fryer French fries, air fryer tater tots, or potato wedges. For a side dish that doesn’t require any cooking, round out the meal with coleslaw or potato salad.
💭How to Store
Store leftover hot dogs in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will keep for 2-3 days. Just reheat them at 380 degrees F for 3-5 minutes to warm them up.
Did You Make This? Leave a Star Rating!
Air Fryer Hot Dogs Recipe
- 6 Hot Dogs
- 6 Hot dog buns
- 6 Frozen breadsticks
- toppings such as sauerkraut, onions, chili, cheese
- assorted condiments
Basic Hot Dogs
- Preheat the air fryer at 390 degrees F for 2 minutes.
- Add the hot dogs to the basket and cook at 390 F for 4 minutes.6 Hot Dogs
- Take the air fryer basket out. Put each hot dog in a bun and return it to the air fryer basket.6 Hot dog buns
- Cook at 390 F for another 2 minutes, then serve.
Frozen Hot Dogs
- Preheat the air fryer at 380 degrees F for 2 minutes.
- Score the hot dogs with a knife, so they don’t burst while cooking. Make a few shallow slits in a diagonal or X-shaped pattern.6 Hot Dogs
- Add the hot dogs to the basket and cook at 380 F for 8 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through the cooking time.
- Take the air fryer basket out and put each hot dog in a bun. Return them to the air fryer at 380 F for another 2 minutes, then serve.6 Hot dog buns
Breadstick Hot Dogs (TikTok Hack)
- Preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees F.
- While it heats, slice each frozen breadstick down the middle, making sure not to cut all the way through.6 Frozen breadsticks
- Place a hot dog inside each breadstick.6 Hot Dogs
- Air fry for 5 minutes or until hot dogs and bread sticks are to your desired crispness.
- If you want to add toppings, add them for the last 2 minutes of cooking time. Use about 2 Tablespoons of a topping such as chili, sauerkraut, or cheese.toppings such as sauerkraut, onions, chili, cheese
- Cook the hot dogs in the buns for the remaining 2 minutes of cooking time to heat the toppings, toast the rolls, and finish warming the hot dogs.assorted condiments
- 2 Tablespoons of shredded cheese or a slice of cheese
- 2 Tablespoons of chili
- Sauerkraut and onions
- pickled jalapenos
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition facts are estimates.