Air fryer shrimp fajitas feature juicy and tender shrimp loaded with veggies and coated with spices. These are the perfect combination of spicy, tangy, and savory. They’re easy to throw together, make an impressive presentation, and are ideal for a weeknight dinner that will be ready in minutes.
Simple ingredients come together to make a delicious dinner your family will want to eat over and over! Serve these over warm tortillas, rice, or a salad for a perfect quick meal.
Love Mexican food inspired recipes? Try air fryer chicken fajitas, Southwest egg rolls, or Mexican pizza for more South of the Border flavor.
🦐What type of shrimp should you use for Air Fryer Shrimp Fajitas?
It is best to use large or medium-sized shrimp in this recipe. Small ones are just too easy to overcook.
You can use either fresh or frozen shrimp that have been thawed. If you forget to thaw them, no worries! You can thaw them quickly by putting them in a colander and setting the colander in a bowl.
Then set the bowl under the faucet and let a small stream of cold water drip into the bowl. Stir every 5 minutes, and they will be thawed in about 15 minutes. Pat them dry before using them.
The shrimp you use should be peeled and deveined. You can take the tails off or leave them on, but I always take them off for fajitas because it makes them easier to eat.
For exact amounts needed see the recipe card below
Fajita seasoning – Use a store-bought blend or make your own homemade fajita seasoning. If you don’t have any, then chili powder, taco seasoning, Old Bay, or Cajun spices work, too, although you will get a slightly different flavor.
Olive Oil – A little bit of oil is used to crisp up the ingredients. Avocado oil or vegetable oil can be substituted.
Bell pepper – I like to use bright colored peppers like red or orange. Green bell pepper is also good, although not as sweet as the other colors. Using more than one color of peppers makes the dish look amazing.
Onion – Red, white or yellow onions are all tasty in this recipe.
Lime juice – A little lime juice squeezed on after cooking helps give these classic fajita flavors. Either fresh or bottled lime juice works.
🍳How to Make Shrimp Fajitas in the Air Fryer
1. Make the Veggies
Slice the bell peppers and onions thinly into strips. Put them in a bowl, add half of the oil, and toss them, so they are coated in oil.
Put them in the air fryer, spreading them out to cover the bottom of the basket. Air fry at 400 degrees F for 8 minutes. Halfway through the cooking time, pull the basket out and stir them to redistribute.
Once the veggies are done, take them out of the air fryer, put them on a serving plate, and set them aside while the shrimp cook.
2. Make the Shrimp
Put the shrimp in a bowl, drizzle them with oil and add the fajita seasoning. Toss everything, so it is well mixed.
Add them to the air fryer and cook them at 400 degrees F for 2 minutes. Then pull the basket out and flip them over. Cook for an additional 2 minutes on the other side. They are done when they are pink and cooked through.
Take the shrimp out and put them on top of the veggies. Drizzle a teaspoon of lime juice over the top and serve immediately.
❓Can I Cook the Fajitas Veggies and Shrimp Together?
If you have a large air fryer or are making a smaller portion of fajitas, you can cook everything simultaneously. If I make 4 servings of this dish, I cook them separately, but I can cook them together if I am only making 2 servings.
But make sure you aren’t overcrowding your air fryer because that will cause it to cook more slowly, which means you won’t actually be saving any time! And the vegetables still need a longer cooking time than the shrimp.
First, cook the veggies at 400 F for 6 minutes. Then push them off to the sides and add the shrimp to the middle of the basket. Cook them for 2 minutes, flip them over and cook them for two minutes more. Take everything out of the air fryer and serve.
Find More Air Fryer Recipes!
Fajitas are very versatile. You can serve these in flour tortillas, over greens as a salad, over rice, or just as is. Make this a delicious shrimp fajita meal by adding favorite side dishes like Mexican rice or Refried Beans.
Make these sort of like tacos and add all your favorite toppings. Some great ideas are:
- garlic aioli
- pickled jalapenos
- Mexican pickled onions
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
💭How to Store
It’s best to eat these right away. However, you can store leftovers in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Warm leftovers by putting them back in the air fryer and cooking at 350 degrees F for 3-4 minutes.
⭐Tips for Making the Best Air Fryer Shrimp Fajitas
Be sure to check out the step by step instructions
- Use large or medium-size shrimp.
- Make prep simpler and buy ones that are already peeled and deveined.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. It will just make everything cook more slowly.
- Make sure your shrimp are thawed before cooking.
Did You Make This? Leave a Star Rating!
Air Fryer Shrimp Fajitas Recipe
- 1-2 tablespoons fajita seasoning mix *see note
- 1 tablespoon olive oil separated
- 1 bell pepper sliced, red, yellow, orange, or green
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 pound raw shrimp peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Chopped cilantro for garnishing
- Lime wedges
- Slice the veggies into strips and place them in a medium bowl. Add 1/2 of the oil to the bowl and toss the veggies to mix.1 bell pepper, 1 onion, 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Put the veggie mixture in the air fryer basket. Set it at 400 degrees F and air fry them for 8 minutes. Open the air fryer part way through the cooking time and stir to mix.
- While they cook, put the shrimp in a medium bowl and add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil and the fajitas spices. Stir to mix.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 pound raw shrimp, 1-2 tablespoons fajita seasoning mix
- Take the vegetables out and transfer them to a serving platter. Set them aside while you finish the dish.
- Put the seasoned shrimp in the air fryer basket. Cook at 400 degrees F for 2 minutes. Then flip them over with tongs and cook for another 2 minutes until they are pink and cooked. Be careful not to overcook them.
- Put the shrimp on the veggies and sprinkle them with lime juice.1 teaspoon lime juice
- Top with cilantro and serve them with fresh lime wedges. You can serve these by themselves, in a tortilla, or on top of rice or salad greens.Chopped cilantro for garnishing, Lime wedges
To quick-thaw frozen shrimpPut them in a colander and put it in a bowl. Place the bowl under the faucet and run a trickle of cool water for about 15 minutes. Pat them dry before seasoning.
Substitute for Fajita seasoningIf you don’t have fajita seasoning, use a mixture of 2 teaspoons chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. Or substitute taco seasoning, Old Bay, or Cajun seasoning instead.
Cooking the shrimp and veggies togetherIf you have a large enough air fryer to fit the shrimp and veggies in at the same time without overcrowding you can cook them at the same time. First cook the vegetables at 400 F for 6 minutes. Then push them off to the sides and add the shrimp in the middle. Cook for 2 minutes, flip and then cook 2 minutes more.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition facts are estimates.