Air fryer yellow squash makes an easy summer side dish! Slices of squash are seasoned, tossed with olive oil and quickly air fried for a delicious side that is ready in minutes.
This is a low prep side dish that is simple to make and healthy too. And during the summer yellow squash is inexpensive and abundant, so use some for this classic recipe.
The high heat of an air fryer makes this squash brown and tender and just a little bit crisp. This easy recipe can be used with all summer squash, including crookneck squash, zucchini or patty pan squash.
Why You Will Love Air Fryer Yellow Squash
- This is a simple recipe with few ingredients.
- Yellow squash has a nice mild, slightly sweet flavor.
- This side dish is vegan, gluten free, paleo and keto friendly, so it works with almost anyone’s dietary restrictions.
- When yellow squash comes in season friends and neighbors are often giving it away, because it is so prolific. Take advantage of free food!
Yellow squash – Small to medium squash will have the best flavor. Huge ones will have bigger seeds inside and be more watery. So don’t pick the biggest you can find! Yellow squash is fat at the bottom and gets skinnier towards the top. Crookneck squash has a curved neck, but it will cook the same as a straight yellow squash.
Oil – A little bit of oil enhances the flavor of the squash and helps it brown. I use about 2 teaspoons which is enough to add flavor without making the squash greasy.
Spices – I used salt, pepper and garlic powder to flavor my air fryer yellow squash.
Looking for more air fryer squash recipes? Check out Air Fryer Butternut Squash and Air Fryer Delicata Squash!
How to Make Air Fryer Yellow Squash
Wash the squash and then slice it into rounds about 1/2 an inch thick. I like to cut the rounds into halves or quarters, so that the resulting squash is bite sized.
I cut the skinny part of the squash into half moon shapes and the thicker part into quarters. There is no need to peel yellow squash.
Put the squash slices in a bowl and drizzle them with olive oil. Then sprinkle the salt, pepper and garlic powder over the top. Toss the slices with a spoon to coat them completely with the spices.
If you want to use fresh herbs to flavor the squash wait until after it is cooked, for the best flavor.
3. Air Fry
Dump the squash into the air fryer basket and spread it around to cover the bottom of the basket. My 5.8 quart Cosori air fryer can fit 1 1/2 – 2 sliced medium yellow squash in the basket.
The number of squash you can fit will vary depending on how thick you cut it and the size of your air fryer. Basically you don’t want to overcrowd the basket or the squash pieces will end up mushy, not crispy.
Air fry at 400 degrees F for 7 minutes. Check it at 7 minutes and make sure it is starting to brown around the edges and not burning.
I usually put it back in at 400 degrees for another 3 minutes because I like my squash to be nicely cooked through and brown. But if you cut your squash more thinly it will be done at 7 minutes.
Find More Air Fryer Recipes!
How to Serve
Just dump the squash out into a serving bowl and put it on the table! You can garnish it with some fresh herbs, like chives or basil. It is also delicious sprinkled with a little bit of Parmesan cheese.
This is a great recipe to serve with a grilled dinner, like spiedies or grilled salmon. It complements grilled meals well and helps ensure you don’t heat up the kitchen on a hot summer day!
How to Store
Leftover squash can be stored, in an air tight container, in the refrigerator for a few days. You can reheat the squash in the air fryer at 400 F for about 4 minutes. It is also good added to a soup or stirred into an egg scramble.
Variations and Notes
This air fryer summer squash recipe will give you delicious cooked squash which is browned, but it won’t really be crispy. The edges are a bit crispy, but for really crispy squash you need to slice it thinner and add breading. Check out my recipe for Air Fryer Zucchini Chips, which will also work fine with yellow squash, if you want really crispy summer squash.
For some other suggested seasoning variation ideas you could replace the garlic powder with Italian seasoning, herbs de Provence or lemon pepper seasoning. Or really spice things up by adding some chili powder!
Yes, the yellow squash and zucchini can be substituted for each other in recipes. Other than color they are very similar both in nutrition and in shape. There is no need to modify this recipe if using zucchini.
No, yellow squash don’t need to be peeled before cooking and eating. The peel is tender and edible. The skin contains nutrients and gives the side dish a nice color, so I recommend not peeling it.
Yes, you can use patty pan squash in this recipe or any other summer squash you find at your farmer’s market. I have also used the recipe with tatuma squash, which look like pale green zucchini.
Find More Easy Air Fryer Side Dishes
Air Fryer Yellow Squash
Air fryer yellow squash is an easy summer side dish!
- 1 medium/small yellow squash
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Wash the yellow squash and slice it into rounds about 1/2 an inch thick. Then cut the rounds into halves or quarters.
- Put the squash slices in a bowl. Drizzle the oil over top and add the salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Put the sliced in the air fryer basket, being careful not to overcrowd it. I can fit 1 1/2 - 2 medium sized squash in my 5.8 quart air fryer basket.
- Air fry at 400 degrees F for 7 minutes. Check the squash and make sure it isn't browning too much. The squash is done when it is brown on the edges and not mushy in the middle.
- I put my squash back in at 400 F for another 3 minutes and a total of 10 minute cooking time. But if you slice the squash more thinly it will cook more quickly. So check it after 7 minutes to be sure.
- This recipe will give you summer squash that is brown with crisp edges, but it won't be super crispy. To make really crispy squash you need to slice it thinner and add breading. Check out my air fryer zucchini chips recipe if you want really crispy squash.
- This recipe works with any summer squash, including zucchini, patty pan squash, crookneck squash and less common varieties like tatuma squash.
- You can vary the seasoning by using Italian seasoning, herbs de Provence or lemon pepper seasoning instead of the garlic powder.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 39Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 133mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g
Nutrition facts are estimates.
1 thought on “Air Fryer Yellow Squash | Easy Summer Side Dish”
Sounds like a great recipe but I dump my garbage not food I am about to cook or serve…..