I have been making lots and lots of apple desserts, but this weekend I need a side dish to take to a pot luck picnic. I wanted to bring something healthy and seasonal, so I made this Apple Fennel salad.
This salad uses fennel, which pairs well with apples because it has a nice licorice taste. The sweet blueberries and tart apples make a nice contrast to the crisp fennel, and the secret ingredient – salad turnips.
I had never eaten salad turnips before this year, but they are very crisp and tasty, and nothing like the turnips you roast in the winter. They taste kind of like radishes, only they are milder.
When we got to the party this weekend I made the mistake of telling the first person who asked what kind of salad it was that it had turnips in it. She passed it by, so after that I just mentioned the apples and fennel, and it was eaten up quickly and I got quite a few compliments on how tasty it was!
Apple Fennel Salad with Blueberries
- Peel and core the apple and slice it thinly. Toss the slices with the lemon juice.
- Shred the carrots and add to the apples.
- Slice the fennel and salad turnips thinly and add to the apple mix.
- Mix the vinegar, mustard, and olive oil in a small bowl and then pour over the apple mix.
- When you are ready to serve put the lettuce on a plate, top withe apple mix, and sprinkle dried blueberries and pecans on top.
Have you ever tried salad turnips?