Last week I received a huge bunch of beets as part of our CSA vegetable share. I had never really cooked with beets, so I wasn’t sure what to do with them! I ended up roasting them, and using most of them in this Beet Gratin recipe, which uses both the beets and the beet greens.
It was very tasty, and the beets had a nice mild flavor, much different from the pickled beets you get in a can.
The recipe is modified from this one by Martha Rose Shulman, posted by the New York Times. It is a little time consuming, because you have to roast the beets and blanch the greens, but after that it goes together quickly.
- 1 bunches beets with greens
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup chopped chives
- 4 scallions
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 oz. Mozzarella Cheese
- Roast the beets. I wrapped them unpeeled in aluminum foil and stuck them in the oven at 300 for about half an hour. Then I stuck a knife in them to make sure they were done. After they have cooled the skin comes right off and they can be sliced into rounds.
- Blanch the beet greens. I put them in a large pot of boiling water for 1 minute, and then dunked them in a ice water bath and drained them. You can do the first two steps ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator.
- When you are ready to make the gratin heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic cloves and the greens and cook for 3 minutes.
- Mix the eggs, milk, chives and scallions together, and put in a casserole dish.
- Stir in the greens mixture and the sliced beets.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and then sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Bake 375 for 40 minutes, and cool 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 163Saturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 173mgCarbohydrates: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 9g
I wish I could tell you my kids loved this dish, but the truth is they wouldn’t even try it! They heard it had beets and insisted I had served them beets before and they were awful, even though I have no memory of every cooking beets before. But my husband and I enjoyed it, and had it for breakfast all week.
18 thoughts on “Beet Gratin Recipe”
I love how colorful and healthy this is. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I’ve never enjoyed beets before, but this recipe looks like it might change my mind!
Wow, this looks really good. We love beets but I don’t make them often. I’m going to try this.
I just planted beets for the first time this year. If they actually produce, I’ll definitely have to make this dish!
I recently got into beets and would love to try this! Bookmarking it!
I really love beets and beet greens are so healthy and taste delicious. I’m bookmarking this great recipe!
Looks yummy but my kids weren’t into beets either even tried making a chocolate beet cake once…. it was super moist and yummy but they didnt try it. Steamed beets are good and simple.
I would have never though to make a gratin out of beets. I’ll have to try it sometime.
Ah! This looks so YUM!!! I have to try it!! Pinning this!
Great recipe! Beets have such great health benefits and this looks really tasty!
I ike that the tops are used in this recipe too. You don’t see many recipes calling for beet greens (my dad loves them). This is such a colorful dish and I think roasting brings out so much flavor in beets.
Thank you for linking!
I absolutely adore beets in any form but have never tried them in a gratin. Can’t wait to give this recipe a spin!
How creative! Never thought of using beets for gratin. I found your recipe over at the Create, Link, Inspire Tuesday link party at Naptime Creations. I host Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesday and would love it if you would come over and share this recipe. Iâ€™m sure our party goers would love it!
Have a wonderful day!!
Love your way of doing gratin. So glad to find you via Ms en Place. Cheers
This looks so unique and good. Featuring this week! I am posting early to in honor of the 4th, might go live tonight 🙂
Love the vibrancy of this dish, sound tasty too! Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!
We just love Beets and can’t wait to try your Beet Gratin. Hope you have had a great weekend and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
Come Back Soon,
This looks really great and I love the colors! Yum!