This recipe for Grilled Red Potatoes is perfect for a family dinner or picnic. Red potatoes are topped with barbecue sauce, cheese and bacon for a tasty BBQ side dish.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Once winter weather is over I am always looking for easy vegetable side dishes to serve when we grill, and potatoes are a staple for grilling at my house. We frequently make Salt Potatoes, a traditional Syracuse dish, but that involves cooking on the stove and heating up the house, which is not ideal when it is hot out. These Grilled Red Potatoes are a great alternative and can be cooked on the grill in a foil pan.
Making the Grilled Red Potatoes
This recipes starts out with a big bag of red potatoes, which I halved and sliced thinly. You should peel the potatoes since a lot of a potato’s nutritional value is found in the skin. I like to grill red potatoes because they are lower in starch than russet potatoes which makes them firm and not mushy.
I also sliced up a red onion and added it to the foil pan.
To make the potatoes even tastier I mixed in some barbecue sauce, which adds a big bold flavor to the dish. I used Dinosaur Bar-B-Que sauce, because that is our favorite local sauce, but I am sure it would taste great with whatever sauce you like best.
Finally I topped it all off with a generous helping of cheddar cheese and bacon. Because cheese and bacon make everything taste better! I paired these Grilled Red Potatoes with barbecue chicken leg quarters, and they would be great with steak or pork too.
I cooked the potatoes in a foil roasting pan that I placed right on the grill next to the chicken. After 30 – 40 minutes of cooking, the potatoes are tender, the BBQ sauce is blended in and the cheese is nicely melted.
- 6 red potatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup Barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup bacon bits
- Spray a foil roasting pan with cooking spray.
- Slice the potatoes into thin slices and place in the foil roasting pan.
- Slice the onion and add on top of the potatoes.
- Pour the barbeque sauce over top of the potatoes.
- Sprinkle with half of the cheese and put the other half aside for later.
- Mix it all together and cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- Grill the potatoes on medium heat for about 40 minutes. Shake the pan ocassionally so that it doesn't burn.
- Remove the potatoes from the grill and add the rest of the cheese.
- Cover for 5 more minutes so the cheese can melt.
- Add the bacon bits right before serving.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338 Saturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 38mg Sodium: 539mg Carbohydrates: 41g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 8g Protein: 14g
What are your favorite side dishes for grilling?