This post contains affiliate links.
I have so much zucchini this year it is ridiculous! My husband and I love zucchini, but there is only so much that we can eat in a week. My mom is visiting this week, so she made her traditional Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread recipe for us, and it is a delicious way to use up some of our abundance of zucchini.
The recipe uses two zucchini, shredded in the food processor, to make the bread moist and tender. This is the same recipe that my grandma made and taught to my mom, with a few small differences. My grandma always made Zucchini Bread with Raisins, but my mom is not a big fan of raisins. So she made a simple subsitution, and now it is Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread instead. And while I like raisins, chocolate chips are better!
When my kids were younger they didn’t know that there was zucchini in this recipe, and they were very annoyed when they found out that they were “tricked” into eating zucchini. But they got over it and eat it anyway.
You can make it into either a loaf of bread or muffins – or both! My mom made a loaf of bread to eat with dinner, and then used the rest of the batter to make muffins. The muffins freeze well, and can be heated up quickly in the microwave for an easy snack.
- 2 zucchini
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Shred the zucchini in a food processor and set aside.
- Mix the brown sugar, white sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla in an electric mixer bowl and beat until smooth.
- Add the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the reserved zucchini, pecans and chocolate chips.
- Bake in greased loaf pan or muffin tins. The recipe makes enough for two loaves or 24-30 muffins, or some combination of those.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 60 minutes for bread and 35 minutes for muffins.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 418Saturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 319mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 2gSugar: 45gProtein: 6g