This dessert is super easy to make, but it looks fancy and tastes wonderful. Trifle is traditionally made with fruit, but peanut butter and chocolate are good too.
I added peanut butter to vanilla pudding to give it a nice light peanut butter taste. Then chocolate pudding and peanut butter pudding are layered with whipped cream and chocolate cake for a delicious combination of flavors that makes the trifle taste like a giant peanut butter cup.
I first made this dessert about 2 years ago, and it has been one of the most popular recipes on my blog ever since I posted it. This weekend I decided to make it again, and it was just as good as I remembered. My kids broke my trifle dish a few months ago, so I made it in individual cups this time, but either way works well!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Trifle
- Prepare brownie mix as described on box. Stir in bag of peanut butter chips and bake as directed. Cool completely.
- Whip cream with 1/4 c. sugar until soft peaks form.
- Mix vanilla pudding with 1 1/2 c. milk. Stir in peanut butter and 1/2 c. whipped cream and beat until smooth.
- Mix chocolate pudding with 1 1/2 c. milk. Stir in 1/2 c. whipped cream and beat until smooth.
- Cut brownies into squares and layer half in a trifle dish. Top with vanilla pudding mix and half of the remaining whipped cream.
- Layer the rest of the brownies, topped with chocolate pudding and remaining whipped cream.
- Decorate the top with peanuts and chocolate shavings. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.