Want to make festive Christmas cookies without much effort? Easy Christmas cake mix cookies with only 6 ingredients are the answer! Using a cake mix is a shortcut that simplifies cookie baking so you can have homemade Christmas cookies in no time at all.
Making Christmas cookies with cake mix gives you light and fluffy cookies, perfect for a holiday cookie exchange, holiday parties, or a quick treat at home.
These are a lot of fun for kids to help bake since they love to roll balls of dough and add sprinkles. So this holiday season, keep a box of cake mix on hand so you can make cookies with less stress and effort.
Find more cookie recipes, including Cool Whip Cookies, Italian Ricotta Cookies, and Red Velvet Cookies.
For exact amounts needed see the recipe card below
Cake Mix – Yellow or white cake mix makes a nice color contrast with the Christmas sprinkles. Ignore the instructions on the box. The mix is used by itself in place of the flour and the rest of the dry ingredients.
Cream Cheese – Use full-fat cream cheese for the best results.
Butter – The butter mixes with cream cheese to give these their rich buttery taste.
Egg – The egg binds everything together.
Vanilla extract – This adds a little more vanilla flavor.
Decorations – I use red and green nonpareils in these photos. Christmas sprinkles or sparkling sugar also look great. You can also roll them in powdered sugar.
Find More Christmas Recipes!
How to Make Christmas Cake Mix Cookies
The most important preparation step is to soften the butter and cream cheese! Leave them at room temperature for an hour or so before starting. This makes it easier to combine the ingredients.
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. If you don’t have either, coat the sheets with nonstick spray.
2. Mix the Cookie Dough
Use an electric mixer for this recipe since combining the butter and cream cheese with just a spoon is challenging. Put the cream cheese, butter, eggs and vanilla in a medium bowl and mix on medium-high until creamy.
Scrape the sides of the mixing bowl with a rubber spatula so that everything gets mixed in. Finally, add the dry cake mix and combine on low speed to form a thick cookie batter.
Put the Christmas sprinkles in a shallow bowl or on a plate. Use a medium cookie scoop to make 1 1/2 inch size balls of dough. Roll them between your hands, so they are round.
Roll the balls of dough in the sprinkles to coat them thoroughly. These look best if you go overboard with the decorations, so cover them with lots of sprinkles.
Place the balls on the baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches between them so they can spread. Then bake them in the 350-degree oven for about 11 minutes.
They are done when the edges are golden brown, and the middle is set. Take them out and let them cool on the sheets for 5 minutes before placing them on wire racks to finish cooling.
Love Christmas Cookies? Check out my collection of 50+ Classic Christmas Cookies for more holiday baking inspiration!
How to Store
You can store the unbaked dough in the refrigerator for 2 days before baking. If the dough is chilled, it might need another 1-2 minutes of baking time.
Let the baked cookies cool completely before storing. Then store leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days.
These holiday cookies also freeze well if you want to do some early Christmas baking! Freeze them in zippered bags or a freezer container, and they will keep for 2-3 months. To thaw them, leave the container on the counter overnight.
Tips for Making the Best Christmas Cake Mix Cookies
Be sure to check out the step by step instructions
- Soften the butter and cream cheese by leaving them at room temperature for an hour or so before starting baking.
- These look best when you use lots and lots of sprinkles. Coat the dough balls completely for the prettiest Christmas sprinkle cookies.
- Use parchment paper or silicone mats on the cookie sheets to prevent them from spreading too much.
Did You Make This? Leave a Star Rating!
Christmas Cake Mix Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 box yellow or vanilla cake mix 15.25 ounces
- 1/2 cup sprinkles for decorating red and green
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Combine the butter, cream cheese, vanilla extract, and egg in a mixing bowl. Blend until they are a creamy consistency.1/2 cup butter, 8 ounces cream cheese, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 egg
- Add the cake mix package and blend until the batter forms a thick cake mix cookie dough.1 box yellow or vanilla cake mix
- Put the holiday sprinkles on a small plate or in a shallow bowl.1/2 cup sprinkles for decorating
- Use a medium scoop or spoon to make balls about 1 1/2 inches. Roll the dough into balls with your hands. Then roll the cookie dough balls in the sprinkles until they are completely covered.
- Place the balls on the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between the dough balls. Bake for 9-11 minutes, until the edges are set, and the middle looks cooked.
- Let them cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before placing them on wire racks to finish cooling.
- Use lots of red and green sprinkles for the best effect.
- Store these in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition facts are estimates.